Some quick questions about my new MacBook Air.

Reaction score
I just got my MacBook Air 13" last Wednesday and I've been absolutely loving it. It's super portable and the battery is phenomenal. I just have a few quick questions to double check that everything is okay:

1) The bottom left corner tends to hover a little bit on some surfaces (but not on others). Yes, the surfaces may not be flat, but why is it always the bottom left one that's hovering? If I put a piece of paper underneath then it is at the same height as the other sides. If there's nothing underneath and I push on it there's a slight clunk of the foot touching the surface, which is not audible for the other sides of the laptop. It's not a huge deal and it's barely noticeable, but I just want to hear what you guys think.

2) When I turn the laptop upside down and shake it (turned off, of course) it sounds like something is loose. Is it supposed to sound like something is flopping around or is there supposed to be no sound? Or should I just stop shaking my laptop? Haha.

3) My laptop randomly turned off today while I was using it and I had to hold the power button for it to turn back on. Is this a big issue or does this tend to happen? I've never owned a Mac so I don't know what to think of this.

4) I was using it on my lap once and when I'd rest my left hand on the bottom left side (same side as in my 1st point) there would be a clunk if I pushed hard enough, as if the metal was hitting against something. I just tried it again and it seems not to be there anymore but I'm just wondering if this would be considered normal.

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I bought my MacBook Air 13" last September and am very pleased with this machine.
1) I have not noticed that the left hand corner hovers a little on a flat surface, .... should not be a big deal anyway.
2) It's a computer , not a cocktail shaker, so stop shaking :)
3) There is a known issue with MBA's freezing when you activate the keyboard and/ or the trackpad at the same time the machine goes to sleep. There is 2-3 second interval that you should not do anything when you see the machine going to sleep more.
What I did is I changed the default energy settings to reduce the likelihood that the machine goes to sleep...I have it set at 15'.
4) Don't push hard enough :)

As I said, I love this little machine.

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just got my MacBook Air 13" last Wednesday and I've been absolutely loving it. It's super portable and the battery is phenomenal. I just have a few quick questions to double check that everything is okay:

I think that some of the concerns you mentioned are hard to comment on without actually being there. If you are really concerned (and because you just got it)...head back to the Apple Store to have them look into things. Or if you're not near an Apple Store...give Apple a call to make arrangements to ship the computer to Apple for inspection.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.