Disable/Mute Start Up Sound in Mavericks?

Reaction score
Aside from muting the sound via the keyboard before turning off the computer - which I never remember, is there a way to mute/disable the start up sound in Mavericks OS?

I did a search of this forum and did not find anything for Mavericks. I used to use TruePreview but it does not work in Mavericks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The StartNinja application still works OK in Mavericks. It's free and can be downloaded from here. Keep in mind that this will turn off the startup sound completely. No in-between to make it softer like some previous software that used to work. With StartNinja, it's either on or off.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
I thought that StartNinja only worked on laptops? I am using it on my MBA, but was sure I read somewhere it didn't work on desktops. I guess I'll look into it again.

EDIT: Just on their website, it says does not work with imacs.

Any other ideas?

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
I found another little program from MacUpdate called Psst to silence the start up chime. I downloaded and installed it and then when I tried to use it from my App Folder I got the following message:

" Psst.app" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
Google Chrome.app downloaded this file today at 2:50 pm from dl.macupdate.com "

This is not the first time this type of thing has happened. How do I get my mac to allow me to utilize applications like this when I get the above messages? I know it's trying to protect me, but I'd like to be the judge of that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Best way it Right Click on the App the First time you use it and go open from there and say ok to give it permission. After that a normal Click will work.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
When I press the right click nothing happens. I'm on Mavericks if it makes a difference.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
It's OK, I figured out how to install 3rd party apps. Preferences -> Security...etc

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
EDIT: Just on their website, it says does not work with imacs.

The developer is being over cautious. It works just fine on my brand new 2013 27" iMac and also a 2011 21.5" iMac.

Why don't you try it? It's not like it's going to cost you anything.... ;)

M

MacInWin

Just make sure if you turned off the security provision that you turn it back on again when done. It's part of the overall security of OSX. And the suggestion made by dtravis7 works on Mavericks perfectly well. Right click the App name, then Open and then acknowledge the security and allow it to open. From that point on, you can just left click and it will start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The developer is being over cautious. It works just fine on my brand new 2013 27" iMac and also a 2011 21.5" iMac.

Why don't you try it? It's not like it's going to cost you anything.... ;)

I was going to say, i believe we have had this discussion before Charlie, and it was confirmed that it DOES work on your iMac. As said, its only a 1mb file so download it and find out yourself, but it does work as said on iMac.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
Ok, so I was able to right click on the app on the desktop, but when I tried it from in the App Folder it didn't work.

FYI Psst didn't work on my early 2009 imac.

StartNinja did, just like you said it would!! Thanks to ALL for all the help!!! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
StartNinja did, just like you said it would!! Thanks to ALL for all the help!!!

Great! I don't know why the developer states it won't work on an iMac when it plainly does, and has worked even on my older 2011 iMac.

Reaction score
Mute Chime iMac Mavericks

Aside from muting the sound via the keyboard before turning off the computer - which I never remember, is there a way to mute/disable the start up sound in Mavericks OS?

I did a search of this forum and did not find anything for Mavericks. I used to use TruePreview but it does not work in Mavericks.

For iMac users who don't want to hear the startup chime I have found a simple and permanent solution: mute the internal speaker and monitor sound through the headphone port or an audio interface (plugged into in the thunderbolt or USB port).

First, just a little background: Unlike many laptops, plugging something into the headphone (audio output) port of my iMac does not stop the chime, because the internal speakers continue to play the chime. However, you can control the sound of the internal speakers separately from the headphone port. If you mute the internal speaker it stops the chime.

Like many people, I always listen to the audio of my mac either through a sound system or headphones plugged into the headphone port (or else through an audio interface plugged into the thunderbolt port). So muting the internal speaker doesn’t affect me; I can still hear audio. Also, I don’t have to constantly mute and unmute anything, or put any code into the system.

How to do this: When you have nothing plugged into the headphone port the system preferences for “Sound” let you mute the internal speakers. Be sure nothing is plugged into your headphone port. When you have something plugged into the headphone port the system preferences will allow you to change the settings for the headphone port only, and not the internal speakers. (By the way this seems like a confusing set up. Why not have these in the same menu at the same time?)

C

chas_m

Here's another great solution for avoiding the startup chime: rarely startup your Mac.

Apple's advice on this topic is clear: you should sleep, not shut down, your Mac unless you are going to be away from it for a considerable time (they don't define that exactly, but I have always assumed "a weekend or more"). Some states see routine hazardous weather (Florida with its lightning storms for example) that might prompt some owners to shut down/unplug their machines more often than normal, but "normal" cold startups should typically be a few times a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Now that chas is the sensible suggestion. All this fixation with shutting down, starting up and that bothersome 'all is well' racket!!!!! Greatest sound a Mac user can hear, compared to the Chimes of Doom.

The more apps and utilities, the more problems with extension conflicts etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.