Itunes newbie. Warning: silly questions inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 13 2009
Last time I use itunes it was 2006, I'm now recovering from a deep health hole I fell into so starting to listening to music and enjoying life again. I remember then having problems with itunes splitting an album into 3 or 4 different album and also about album covers.
I'd like to know if these things still happens.

I mostly listen to downloaded music, when I buy music I buy the original cd not the mp3 version. What I like about itunes is to select the album by the cover, that's what I need, I'm on lion.

I also have a 2nd hd on my MB so I'd like to put my music on that HD as the first one will be ssd, may I create a music folder and throw everything in there? I don't want to add weight into itunes library.

Any info is welcome

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It shouldn't split up an album if they're all tagged the same way (all have the same artist and album info). iTunes isn't smart enough to know how things go together unless you're explicit so as long as you're explicit in noting that certain songs go together by tagging them as such, you should be fine.

You can certainly store your library elsewhere. In iTunes, go to Preferences... > Advanced > iTunes Media folder location. It's here that you can set the location of the library.

OP
panchoskywalker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 13 2009
Thanks, I wish there was something like an itunes ready tag on downloadable music.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just to add a bit to what Vansmith said to clarify things a bit. iTunes has two places where track information such as Artist, Album title, etc. can be entered. One is in an Info tab when you pull up information about a song the other is in a tab labeled "sorting". If the information in the two fields doesn't match that can cause problems where songs/albums are not sorted properly.

If you have several albums by the same artist and they do not appear in the same place that usually means the Artist field is not exactly the same across all of the albums.

If the files have been tagged iTunes can usually read the tags and make a pretty good guess where things need to go. The problem is that tagging is not always consistent. Even the iTunes store has some tagging errors/inconsistencies. I've seen B. B. King albums tagged at least three different ways from various sources.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Most legally downloaded music should be tagged properly since, after all, this music is offered as part of a business and should be delivered to you as a quality product.

All music is tagged using the same format - iTunes does not use some special format that is unique to the application (Apple's decision to go proprietary only goes so far thankfully). If a song is tagged properly in one application, it'll be tagged properly in another. Where are you getting your music from?

OP
panchoskywalker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 13 2009
Most legally downloaded music should be tagged properly since, after all, this music is offered as part of a business and should be delivered to you as a quality product.

All music is tagged using the same format - iTunes does not use some special format that is unique to the application (Apple's decision to go proprietary only goes so far thankfully). If a song is tagged properly in one application, it'll be tagged properly in another. Where are you getting your music from?

Let's say I download it unlegally.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then let's say that this conversation won't go any further.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's say I download it unlegally.

And that is where we will leave this.... Please take the time to read our Community Rules which you will find in my signature. This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.