Automatically split audio track at time intervals

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Hello,

I am about to record heaps of cassette tapes (speech not music) onto my mac using an audio cable to microphone input. I currently have the free program Audacity which works well to record.

However I want to automatically split the single recording into multiple tracks at set time intervals (e.g. 30 seconds or 1 minute). This allows for easy playback and re-playback when listening and taking notes. It seems Audacity does not have this feature and I would be required to manually split the tracks which would be tedious and take forever!

Can anyone suggest a free program which will allow me to automatically split an audio recording at set time intervals?

I also have access to a windows computer but would rather use the mac if possible.

Many Thanks.

C

chas_m

No free program I'm aware of does this. Amadeus Pro ($60, pricey but worth it) does what you're looking for. Sound Studio 4 ($30 from the Mac App Store) does it also (in a somewhat more awkward way). Fission from Rogue Amoeba ($32) has yet another way of accomplishing this: you have to do it manually once (say every 30 seconds), then save that "cue sheet" and apply it again to other recordings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.