Connecting Apple TV to Bose Lifestyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacAir; iMac 27"; iPads (3)
Have a new Apple TV. Trying to connect to 40" screen. Direct connect only gets video, no audio. Not sure of the connections to the Bose Lifestyle system. Here are some specs:

Bose v20 lifestyle system 5 speaker
TV is HD Samsung 40". TV itself has 4 HDMI connections
Cable is Verizon fios
Blue Ray Panasonic connects to the DVD port on the Bose receiver
Standard DVD region2 connected to the VCR port on the Bose receiver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello & welcome to the forum! :) You really need to provide a lot more information: 1) What brand/model HDTV (my assumption) do you own?; 2) Are you using an HDMI cable between the Apple TV & your HDTV (this should provide video & sound); 3) What Bose model are you using?; and 4) How is your Bose audio integrated in your setup? Might help others to better respond. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Bose does not have enough HDMI connections to handle everything correctly if I read the documentation correctly. There might be a better way but I would probably use an HDMI switch such as this one. The DVD player could remain plugged in directly to the Bose. The Cable box and Apple TV are fed to inputs on the switch with the output from the switch fed to the other HDMI connection on the Bose.

Might be worth a call to these folks to see if you need a powered or unpowered switch,

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
"Assuming" you mean direct connect to the TV...

1. My first guess is that you have the audio on the TV turned all the way down since all the devices you watch are run through the Bose.
You may even have it turned off in the TV settings. (I've had the audio turned off on every TV I've owned for well over 20 years.)
You'll need to turn it back on in the TV settings and adjust the volume.

2. If the above doesn't work - On the ATV, head into Settings - Audio & Video

Try changing the settings in both Dolby Digital and Audio Output.
Try Auto on both of them first.
Then try turning DD off
Then try setting Audio Output to 16 bit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for getting the audio to the Bose...

1. You could use a HDMI switch as linked to by Sly above.
In this case, I would put the Blu-Ray and the ATV on the switch and leave the FIOS where it is, connecting the switch to the DVD input on the Bose.

2. Keep the ATV connected direct to the TV via HDMI and connect an optical cable to the AUX port on the Bose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.