Blu-Ray for 2013 MacBook Pro - Retina

bpe

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend an external blu-ray player for a 2013 MacBook Retina? I would like the ability to play and burn blu-ray discs. Because I will be traveling with this, I'm looking for the slimmest device possible.

Thanks for your help.

-Brian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Personally, would look to OWC - you'll know they've been tested with OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
I also recommend OWC, they have a good lineup of drives depending on what you are looking for (form factor, aesthetics, etc)

I personally like this slim model which I use with my Mac Mini

One thing to be aware of is that OS X does not support blu ray movie playback out of the box. This is...annoying...to say the least and is also the reason that Apple's SuperDrive (which in all other respects is ~awesome~) does not support BD. OWC has a good web page talking about this issue and software solutions to get your movies working. Check it out here.

I haven't had any real problems with Macgo but since BD standards always seem to be changing, you're definitely not guaranteed 100% playback. Best to test your movies before you go on a trip and find out the ones you brought don't work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature block :)
Hello BPE,

I have a Samsung SE-506AB/TSBD external Blu-ray Burner which is connected to my iMac 2012 (No internal disk drive). It is a great add-on. Just connect it via USB and you're good to go. No software install required. Once it is connected via USB, the mac won't see it but as soon as you put a blu ray movie in or a blank CD/DVD/BluRay then the Mac will see it and you can either play a movie, read the data on disk or right click on a file or folder and click "Burn to Disk". I also use it to RIP movies using Handbreak (For back up reasons). On Amazon it cost me roughly 80€/$ depending on where you live.

Regards,

Robin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I run this one from OWC on my Mid-2010 Mac Mini without issue. According to its Apple hardware profile in OS X 10.9.1 and the makemkv software, it contains a Pioneer Blueray drive. I will add that it falls asleep while palying a disk if I daisy-chain it through my RAID via FW800, but works just fine over USB. It plays many non-Blueray disks that never played reliably on the internal Superdirve and others that are now too scratched to play on the internal drive.

OWC MR3F8BDSD15X Mercury Pro 15X Blu-ray Burner... in stock at OWC

Reaction score
I also have the Samsung Blu-Ray Drive, the main problem with Blu-Ray playback seems to be the need for an internet connection. I have tried various trial copies of the Blu-Ray applications available. Non seem to work if there is no internet connection and others seem to play some but not all discs, very frustrating when half way through my Breaking Bad box set!
If anybody has a solution to these problems it would be great
Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.