2ND video monitor with mac mini or I mac ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
digital audio G4 /466
Hi there,
I was wondering if it's possible to run a second display with either of these models? ...if not whats the largest screen you can have with the Mini ?

Thanks dude's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i believe you can do dual screens with the imac (can somebody confirm that for me?)
you can only do one screen with the mac mini and i believe the largest screen you can run off that is the 23 inch.

Reaction score
you can do dual screens with the new imac (i think) no dual with mac mini and for imac g5 you need the screen spanning hack

B

BEEEsH

EDIT-XTREEM said:
you can do dual screens with the new imac (i think) no dual with mac mini and for imac g5 you need the screen spanning hack

To do dual screen with the mini you'll need a third party accessory + the software. It isn't very good though. The best cinema display for the mini is a 20" or smaller. You'll see a performance hit if you run the native resolutions on the bigger displays.

Reaction score
BEEEsH said:
To do dual screen with the mini you'll need a third party accessory + the software. It isn't very good though. The best cinema display for the mini is a 20" or smaller. You'll see a performance hit if you run the native resolutions on the bigger displays.

What hardware & software do you need? I'm thinking about trying this out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
There was a link on digg.com to an adapter with dual dvi outs: It's basically a splitter for your single dvi connection...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
On the iMac G5, you can only mirror the display through a VGA connection (however, you can use the VGA-> DVI adapter that ships with most DVI displays, and through a hack you can work with dual-monitors).

On the new iMac Core Duo, you can use an external DVI monitor and screen span with no hacks or adapters needed.

As for the Mac Mini, you'd need a DVI splitter.

B

BEEEsH

I don't remember what it was called because it wasn't mine, but it didn't look very good.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
digital audio G4 /466
thanks

what I need is twice the desktop size if do able. I use my mac with a music recording software dp3 and it would be handy to have 1 screen dedicated to to the mixing console and the other for editing. ANY Ideas are appreciated. There's a lot of confusion/conflict at the moment Mac with the g5's PCI slots and the compatability with my sound card and so I'm going firewire until this is resolved. New Motu 828 mk2 £500... so a mac mini would be the right price to do both as in Software and Hardware upgrades.

Thanks for any suggestions Dude's.

Reaction score
I think that is you need dual screens, the mac mini is not the best computer for you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.