Ripping music from stereo amp to iMac

Reaction score
I've purchased an imic as a LINE IN for my iMac so I can feed audio from my stereo amp to the computer for ripping. Is there a simple piece of software (such as Musicmatch jukebox which i used on my old PC) for capturing and storing the ripped music. I'm a total novice, so please start with basics. On a recommendation, I downloaded Audacity but so far am overwhelmed with it and haven't gotten to first base. Help.

C

chas_m

Can you describe with a little more detail what exactly you are wanting to accomplish? For example, I use an iMic to convert cassette tapes of my old radio show to digital files for (eventually) turning into a podcast.

Audacity is an audio editing program that can do capture, but perhaps this is overkill for what you're doing? If so, take a look at Piezo or Audio Hijack Pro from Rogue Amoeba. There are free trials to check em out -- they can basically be directed to record input or system audio or audio from a specific application, using Soundflower as a core.

OP
MACGEM
Reaction score
Thanks chas_m,
I think you're right about Audacity being overkill for what I'm trying to do. Instructions for using it are full of technical terms I know nothing about.

I just want to send audio from my stereo amplifier (playing turntable, reel-to-reel, CD, or cassette players) into my computer, separate the songs, and save them to a file in digital format (preferably mp3) where I can change the names from Track 1, Track 2, etc. to the actual names and artists. Then draw from the music to create CDs. With my old Musicmatch Jukebox, I could also post a picture of the artist or album to the file but that's not a major deal. Feeding the music in, separating the songs, and storing them in a file (I don't think I'm ready for the icloud thing yet) so I can use that file as my music library for creating CDs is what I'm trying for. From this explanation, do you think that Piezo or Audio Hijack Pro you mentioned might be the answer?

Thanks again for your interest in helping.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have done this using Amadeus Pro. Try it if the options Chas_m suggested don't work for you. It's not free but I find the interface much nicer than Audacity. Although free, I find the interface for that program absolutely horrid by any standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I just want to send audio from my stereo amplifier (playing turntable, reel-to-reel, CD, or cassette players) into my computer, separate the songs, and save them to a file in digital format (preferably mp3) where I can change the names from Track 1, Track 2, etc. to the actual names and artists.
I use Audacity for that.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will work but the OP has already tried Audacity and found it a bit overwhelming. I have a few other choice words for that interface but I get the meaning.

C

chas_m

The iMic came with software that will do what you are wanting, its called Final Vinyl but can also be used for any sound input. It can autodetect and mark gaps (for example between songs) and save each song or audio piece as a separate file.

iMic Support | Griffin Technology

OP
MACGEM
Reaction score
The iMic I purchased was a refurbished unit and I didn't receive any software with it - unless it's built in somehow. But I'll look into this. This sounds like it could be what I'm looking for. Thanks again for the great effort to assist.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It will work but the OP has already tried Audacity and found it a bit overwhelming.

That's an understatement. ;) I used Audacity once in Windows and decided right then and there that I would never use it again. Although it's free, it's one of the most confusing interfaces (about on par with GIMP) that I have ever run into.

OP
MACGEM
Reaction score
Thanks. I overlooked the link for Final Vinyl but will give it a try now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's an understatement. ;) I used Audacity once in Windows and decided right then and there that I would never use it again. Although it's free, it's one of the most confusing interfaces (about on par with GIMP) that I have ever run into.

Same here. I tried it a few times but found that the interface reminded me too much of a PC program. Had the same problem using Firefox. I've found Amadeus much more to my liking. I've used versions of Amadeus since the G3 days and the one time I contacted the author for support I got an answer in less than 24 hours IIRC.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Chas. Final Vinyl just might do it for the OP. Before I had to move with friends I had an iMic and that application and it did exactly that for me.

I agree the interface on Audacity is a bit antique but I have never had issues using it. Amadeus is a nicer interface and app overall though.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never really had an issue with whether Audacity worked or not. It did (the last version I used was a little twitchy for me but it has been updated since then). My problem was I never got comfortable with the interface and where the various controls/settings were located.

OP
MACGEM
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if I can get there from here.
I downloaded Final Vinyl but got this message when I tried to open it to give it a try"
"“Final Vinyl” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer." If anyone using Final Vinyl has run into this situation and found a work-around, I'd love to hear about it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"“Final Vinyl” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer."

That's "Gatekeeper" preventing you from opening an App which is not signed by Apple and purchased or downloaded from the Mac App store. Just right click on the app and select open. It will open and then you can run the installer.

OP
MACGEM
Reaction score
Thanks chscag,
That did the trick. So easy when you know how. I have a feeling your little tip will come in handy many times to come in the future. Thanks again.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That will happen regularly. It's one more level of security to make you think about what is being installed. If the app is from a developer you trust go ahead and let it run. If it's not from someone you trust don't allow the install until you find out more about it.

C

chas_m

Ah yes, sorry about that. This is a security setting in later versions of OS X.

Just right-click on the Final Vinyl program icon and select "Open." After that it will open normally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.