Office 2011 Word issue

Reaction score
Greetings,

I apologize if this is the wrong thread.

I recently reset and reinstalled the OS and software to my wife's MacBook Air. I'm having a problem with Microsoft Word (Office Mac 2011)Before all of this, everything worked fine.

Basically no Word documents/files will open when I click on them (double click or right click and open). The only way to get a Word doc to open is to go to the Word "program" itself, start it up, then File, Open, find the file, and open it that way. Let me know if that makes sense. Excel and PowerPoint are fine. I can save an Excel file to the desktop, then click on it and it opens right up.

The only other variable I can think of is I replaced Lion with Mavericks.

Any suggestions on on to remedy this?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You did manage to post in the wrong forum, however, I moved it here for you where it belongs. :)

In order to get Word 2011 to open when clicking on *.doc or *.docx try this:

Right click on the document file, select "Open With", and then select Word. At the same time you want to make sure that Word is the default program to use, so be sure to select "Always open with Word". That will make it the default from now on.

There's a handy small free program that you can download called "Default Apps" which installs itself in the System Preferences other panel. With it you can setup just about any program to be the default for any file type. The download link is here.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what exactly fixed it but when I came back this evening to mess with it...it seems to be working fine. 3 days of not working, then it just does.....crazy new fangled computer stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.