Mavericks OS

Reaction score
I just heard about the new Maverick os and have read some articles about it. I am running 10.6.8 and I understand I can upgrade to this for free. A lot of people write a lot about a lot of topics..but I usually rely on Mac users to know the "nitty gritty". Is it worth upgrading to this? I don't know how to back up things so that's a consideration...Is it worth my time? What are the pros and cons? Like I say some people like upgrades some don't. What do you guys think about this new upgrade?

ANY input would be appreciated.

Ironman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends on your computer and you have not supplied details. Eqrly intel machines cannot run Mavericks. For what it is worth to me it is fast and rock steady with a absolutely no problems. I prefer format and clean installs rather than simple upgrades. Here are Mavericks specs. Suggest 2GB of memory is rather on the lean side. Again depending on your computer 4GB minimum would assist:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5842

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As harryb2448 said, upgrading does depend on if your system can handle it. Also take into consideration, if you use PPC based software, it may not run on the new OS.

Small clarification: PPC-based software won't run on any version of OS X higher than 10.6.8. If you're still using PPC software you'll either need to find alternate, programs, upgrade those programs, or stay with 10.6.8.

Reaction score
I only moved from SL to Mavericks on my 6,1 MBP (Mid 2010) model this year after the 10.9.1 update.

Takes a while to restore some missing functionality and it does seem to chew though the battery as the fan is often audible now.

In the end I bought the Server edition as I have network needs beyond the bare minimum.

AirPort Utility 5.6.1 on OS X 10.9 Mavericks | Corey J. Mahler

Helps restore lost functionality over the AirPort.

The big pain was the mouse direction - that can be easily switched and I *really* tried to get it into my head.

A few of the major issues were resolved with the 10.9.1 update, but you can see this is less polished than anything Mac (OS X) since it first came out!

How to Fix Common Mac OS X Mavericks Problems | Digital Trends

C

chas_m

As the others have said, whether you should upgrade or not depends VERY MUCH on what specific model you have, and (even if it is eligible for the upgrade) what software you have and how out-of-date it is. So if you can supply some of that information, we can make a recommendation.

Reaction score
Do you need it?

What matters most if if you actually NEED to upgrade. If you don't need to upgrade, to run a piece of software, then don't. I waited until I needed to upgrade to run software I needed to run. Had I not needed the software, I would not have upgraded.

There are some things to like about Mavericks, and things to hate about it. I hate the new finder, it is a step backwards. What I like about it, is I can run the software I needed. See?

M

MacInWin

Just to be contrarian, unlike sages, I find the battery use much better than ML. I think that is the result most folks are having, at least by reports. It manages the power usage better, memory better and is overall more efficient. I do not have the fans running any more on my 17" MBP than they were before. Right after install, they did run a bit as Spotlight reindexed all the files, but it's been quiet since then. As for the problems reported on that link to Digital Trends, I never had any of them. If you read the list, most of the solutions involve reinstalling newer versions of software over old, and deleting things from the old OS. I did a clean install, so had zero of those issues.

As for Finder, I don't see any changes from ML, unlike phughes. He wasn't specific about what changes he didn't like, but Finder, for me, works just like Finder.

All that said, until we know what Mac you have, you don't even know if you CAN upgrade to Mavericks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
But, if you can, is free worth it? You be the judge.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But, if you can, is free worth it? You be the judge.

TANSTAAFL by Robert Heinlein. ;)

Reaction score
Just to be contrarian, unlike sages, I find the battery use much better than ML. I think that is the result most folks are having, at least by reports. It manages the power usage better, memory better and is overall more efficient. I do not have the fans running any more on my 17" MBP than they were before. Right after install, they did run a bit as Spotlight reindexed all the files, but it's been quiet since then. As for the problems reported on that link to Digital Trends, I never had any of them. If you read the list, most of the solutions involve reinstalling newer versions of software over old, and deleting things from the old OS. I did a clean install, so had zero of those issues.

As for Finder, I don't see any changes from ML, unlike phughes. He wasn't specific about what changes he didn't like, but Finder, for me, works just like Finder.

All that said, until we know what Mac you have, you don't even know if you CAN upgrade to Mavericks.

I didn't run ML, I upgraded from Snow Leopard so the finder may be the same as it was on ML. Whatever it is, I do not like it.

You can no longer swipe back to the previous view using a gesture. You have to click on the back arrow. What aggravates me the most though, and seriously affects my productivity, is the way it views files according to date, or time modified, added or opened. In Snow Leopard, you could arrange by date modifies, and it would indeed arrange by date modified, now it puts them in sections according to Today, Yesterday, Previous 7 Days and so on. Within each section though, they are according to name, I need them to be according to date modified. It is very annoying. I understand what they were trying to do, but it is executed poorly.

I also miss the old "Today" view. That was very useful for me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I didn't run ML, I upgraded from Snow Leopard so the finder may be the same as it was on ML. Whatever it is, I do not like it.

You can no longer swipe back to the previous view using a gesture. You have to click on the back arrow. What aggravates me the most though, and seriously affects my productivity, is the way it views files according to date, or time modified, added or opened. In Snow Leopard, you could arrange by date modifies, and it would indeed arrange by date modified, now it puts them in sections according to Today, Yesterday, Previous 7 Days and so on. Within each section though, they are according to name, I need them to be according to date modified. It is very annoying. I understand what they were trying to do, but it is executed poorly.

I also miss the old "Today" view. That was very useful for me.

What mouse are you using to swipe back and forth between pages? Is is the Magic Mouse? If so it DOES work! You need to go into System Preferences, Mouse and on More Gestures. Put a Checkmark by "Swipe Between Pages". It was unchecked on my Mavericks after upgrading from Mountain Lion. It works just like before. Using it right now in Safari. Hope this helps. If you are using a Magic Trackpad instead of the Magic Mouse, it's a setting under Trackpad.

Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 7.40.04 AM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For arranging files by Date Modified, In a Finder Window click on the gear up top in the finder window and then on Arrange By. Pick what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 Imac 27"
I've only had the iMac for a few weeks now but did the upgrade the other day. It was a seamless operation no trouble whatsoever and all my files, settings and preferences carried over to the new operating system. No problem whatsoever.

Reaction score
For arranging files by Date Modified, In a Finder Window click on the gear up top in the finder window and then on Arrange By. Pick what you want.

I do not believe you actually read what I wrote. I have chosen how I want files to be arranged. Unfortunately Mavericks arranges them by date, but within sections such as, today, yesterday, past 7 days, etc., and within those sections they are listed by name, not date.

As for swiping, the person commenting on that also didn't read, you cannot swipe between the last view in Finder. I am using the trackpad. In Snow Leopard you could click on a folder, view the files, then swipe back to get to the previous view. You now cannot, you have to click the "back" on the menu bar. I can swipe fine between pages in apps like Firefox and Safari. I was aware of how to enable that before upgrading. It does not, however, work in Finder, which was the only thing I commented on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Be nice! You'll get a lot more co-operation with a smile.

Reaction score
Be nice! You'll get a lot more co-operation with a smile.

Not really sure what you are referring too. I only stated facts, and not in a combative way, nor was my intent to be so. If the people who quoted me and posted a reply to my first post would have read what I wrote carefully, they would have seen I wasn't having issues with what they referred to.

I also do not need any help with the issue, since there really is no way to change it, it is the way it was programed to be. If I do not like it, then I just have to get over it or figure out an alternative. I was merely pointing out to the OP that there was a change from Snow Leopard, that is all. It is also a change that has been discussed elsewhere. These are all things I read about before I upgraded. I researched before doing so. I do not like the way the finder works now, there were some things about the old finder I liked better, it simply worked better for my purposes, not necessarily everyone. They didn't create it just for me, although I do know a few people with the same issues I have relating to the finder.

Mavericks is a good OS, if you need it. Often people do "upgrade" when they don't truly have a need to do so. This can cause issues and headaches. Sometimes there is a performance improvement and sometimes there is a performance hit. Often with an older system it is best to not upgrade if you do not have a true reason to do so. That was my point.

There is no malice or ill will in this post either. None is intended now or before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Ok...my apologizes...I'll back off. I hope you get solutions. I wish you well.

C

chas_m

You can no longer swipe back to the previous view using a gesture.

This has already been addressed. Yes you can.

What aggravates me the most though, and seriously affects my productivity, is the way it views files according to date, or time modified, added or opened. In Snow Leopard, you could arrange by date modifies, and it would indeed arrange by date modified, now it puts them in sections according to Today, Yesterday, Previous 7 Days and so on.

No it doesn't:

date-modified.png

But I figured out what you did wrong:

date-modified2.png

If you'll go back to that and hit "None" and then click on the COLUMN HEADING for "Date Modified," you'll get your display to match mine in the first pic above.

I hope that helps you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.