Can I put Classic (OS9) with OSx (10.3) on an IMAC?

Reaction score
I have a G4 that I use a Wacom Intuos drawing tablet with. That tablet needs Classic (OS9) to run so I've installed both Classic and OSX and switch back and forth between OSX when I want to browse and Classic when I want to work on my Wacom tablet. All works fine.

I recently acquired an IMAC (running OSX 10.4.11, no disks, tho). I do have the OS9, OSX and OS 10.3 disks that I used for my G4, tho. Can I install my OS9 and OS 10.3 on the IMAC so I can use the tablet? How do I do that? (I’m not familiar with Macs.) I don’t mind wiping everything from the IMAC and starting over if I have to. Do I install the 0S9 first? I’d appreciate if someone could point me to a step-by-step guide to this process.

A related question: As indicated, on the IMAC there currently is OSX 10.4.11 which I like..but I don’t have the disks for that OS. Is it possible to just install OS9 alongside that current OS so that I can switch back and forth like I did with my G4…if I don’t have the is OSX 10.4.11 disks?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Who knows? Need information about the discs. Are they full retail install DVD's/CDs and not silver /grey model specific discs? Suggest leaving Tiger OS X.4 on the iMac and looking for a OS 9.2.2 CD if you have to go Classic.

Be aware the hard drive had to be set up to install OS 9 drivers at the time it was formatted and Tiger installed. Trying the OS 9 install will soon let you know. If not and no Tiger discs you may be better formatting using the Panther disc OS X.3, ticking the box at format to install OS 9 drivers. Again be aware doing this will wipe everything on the hard drive. This link on eBay shows the white OS 9.2.1 disc you require which can be updated to OS9.2.2 after installation. Do not buy any silver/grey disc. They abound on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Origi...7?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item3cdafa92f3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
If your iMac is a PowerPC model, you probably have access to Classic Environment which provided support for OS9 software out of the box.

They made the transition from PowerPC to Intel during Tiger's reign so not all Tiger systems are capable of running Classic Environment.

Classic Environment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks harryb2448 and Algus

I'll fire up the IMAC to check whether it's a power pc or not (I don't see anything on the outside to tell me.)

I do have the OS 9 disk you linked to, harryb2448. I'll give it a go.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a PowerPC so that is covered. If OS 9 will not install you can bet the OS 9 drivers have not been selected when OS X was installed. As I said this means a complete erase and format of the hard drive losing everything, then install OS X.3 subject t you having the retail install DVD/CD version and selecting that OS 9 drivers box when formatting. And depending on the Wacom model maybe OS X drivers are available from this link:-

http://us.wacom.com/en/support/legacy-drivers

OP
P
Reaction score
tried to install OS9

OK. I tried to boot from the OS9 CD: put in CD and rebooted, holding down the C key. Upon reboot I see a blinking earth (globe) on a square. Then it changes to a blinking question mark alternating with the Mac face icon on a folder.

When the IMAC finally comes up (OSX loads), an error reads: "Classic cannot find a Mac OS9 system folder on the startup disk to use."

This means I need to erase everything and install from the OS 10.3 CDs, right?

If so, do I just insert the first OS 10.3 disk and reboot holding down the C key...and then proceed with a clean install, making sure to check the 'OS9' box?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Erase and format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and tick the 'Install OS 9 drivers' box and proceed. Before you start make sure the Panther OS X.3 discs are the black full retail install discs, and not silver/grey system discs which will not work. They are extremely model specific.

OP
P
Reaction score
Trying to install OS 10.3 on IMAC

Probably I'm doing something wrong. I inserted the black OS 10.3 (disk #1) while IMAC was running. I see it on the desktop. I restart the IMAC. As I hear the mac sound I hold the C key down..and keep holding it until I see the mac apple icon. After I let go of the C key the mac apple icon continues...and continues. The IMAC never gets to another screen. (After a while it sounds like the fan accelerates a bit but same apple icon on screen.)

What am I doing wrong?

When I let the IMAC boot up without holding the C key it gets to the desktop without problem.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I recently acquired an IMAC (running OSX 10.4.11, no disks, tho).

You can not install Panther (OS X 10.3) on that machine if it came pre-loaded with Tiger. If it originally came pre-loaded with Panther from the factory, then you could go ahead and install Panther. But if that machine came pre-loaded with Tiger (which I suspect it did), then you can not install Panther.

You'll have to find another way to load Classic on your iMac or just continue using it on the older machine so you can use the Wacom.

OP
P
Reaction score
That's unfortunate.
You wrote:
You'll have to find another way to load Classic on your iMac
Is there a way to load OS9 on that IMAC (if it was preloaded with Tiger)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a way to load OS9 on that IMAC (if it was preloaded with Tiger)?

You may be able to use "Sheepshaver" which is an open source Classic emulator. No guarantees though. But since it's free, may be worth a try. Download from here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What model of Intous is it you are using

OP
P
Reaction score
Louishen:
My Wacom Intuos Tablet is a model GD-1218-R

Thanks Chscag. I'll look into the Sheepshaver app.

C

chas_m

To the best of my knowledge, Sheepshaver (which I have running on my MacBook Pro) is only for Intel Macs, and the OP has never actually told us (unless I missed it) whether his machine is PPC or Intel -- I suspect it is the former, so Sheepshaver isn't an option.

Also, be aware that Sheepshaver's support of hardware in the OS 9 environment is limited. The tablet might not work even after all that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like that is correct Harry.

Some of SheepShaver's features

Runs MacOS 7.5.2 thru 9.0.4. MacOS X as a guest is not supported.
Color video display
CD quality sound output
Access to floppy disks, CD-ROMs and HFS(+) partitions on hard disks
Easy file exchange with the host OS via a "Host Directory Tree" icon on the Mac desktop
Internet and LAN networking via Ethernet
Serial drivers
SCSI Manager (old-style) emulation

OP
P
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm back to square one. Thanks to you all for your time sorting this out...and keeping me from wasting any more time with this IMAC. Too bad the company locks down their systems like that. I'll save up and purchase a new Wacom that works with Windows.
Again, Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.