Disk verification failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.5, Powerbook 17" 1.67
First of all, I apologize if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move this if need be.

I own a Powerbook 17" 1.67 with 1.5 in ram. This computer has worked great. Until now, I was recently informed by a friend that if I had Tiger and I was running Photoshop CS2, that I should try and verify my disk, because likely it would fail and I would need to repair it. Well, I did the verification, and low and behold, it failed. Told me that when checking the "Catalog File" there was an "Illegal name" then reported "Volume HD could not be repaired" "Underlying task reported failure on exit"

I've tried repairing it while booting from the install disc utilities section, still the same thing. (actually, it wouldn't even let me try and repair without going through the install disc)

I talked to the local repair store shortly, because I wanted to migrate my system to my brand new Quad G5 so I would have a backup of everything in case the laptop got erased when I take it in, they said there should be no problem, and this problem would not copy to my G5... welp, I migrated, and now the G5 does the exact same thing...

Is there anything I can do myself to fix this? Do I just suck it up and go without a computer for the 5-7 days it takes to fix this???

Thanks for any help you can help me with! :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.5, Powerbook 17" 1.67
Thanks a ton for that.

I went ahead and deleted the legal folder... and that caused some problems of it's own... then I rebooted in single user mode, typed /sbin/fsck -fy and then return, then it fixed some problems, I ran it again, it came back with everything looked great.

I ran disk utilities to verify and we appear to be running smoothly once again. Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.