Partitioning

Reaction score
Does partitioning enable you to run one of two operating systems. the aim is to access powerPC apps.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It could under the right circumstances. We'll need to know though what Mac you are running. If your Mac shipped with / could run Mavericks here's what you could do assuming you have a Snow Leopard disc.

1. Backup anything important. Partitioning the drive is going to remove / erase the data.
2. Partition the drive. You'll need one partition for each OS you are planning to run. Make sure you leave enough room to have enough blank space for OS X swap files.
3. Partition the drive and install the first OS. You can use Disk Utility for this.
4. Install Snow Leopard on the other part ion. You'll also need to add Rosetta.

You can switch from one OS to another by holding down the option key during boot up.

If you have enough available space you could set up an extra partition specifically for data files so they are accessible to both operating systems. For all partitions leave enough room for some free space on the partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day Hamish and welcome to the forums.

Depends on your computer specifications.

If the machine whatever it is, you have not told us, came originally with Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks, then there short answer is no more PowerPC applications. As Sly suggests if it is capable of running Snow Leopard OS X.6 then yes. As a rule of thumb there is no going back to an operating earlier than the computer was released with.

C

chas_m

Why not just upgrade the old apps to newer versions? Other than AppleWorks I am hard-pressed to think of anything that didn't make that jump seven or eight years ago ...

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
I have been on an annual holiday at the height of summer.

It is an iMac, mid 2010 with 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7.
I have the OS discs 10.6.4
The programs I miss is my backbone QuarkXpress v6, which is priced at over $1000.00. in Australia
I would like to be able to access my historical publications.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can get hold of a copy of Adobe InDesign, it can open QuarkExpress and Pagemaker documents. I'm not sure how much that would cost you in Australian $ though?

However, you should be able to partition your hard drive so that you can also run Snow Leopard. You didn't say which version of OS X you're currently running, but if it's Lion or greater your hard drive will also have a recovery partition in addition to your Macintosh HD partition.

You may be better off just installing Snow Leopard on an external hard drive and then use that drive to boot your iMac whenever you need to access your Quark documents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas InDesign is $20 per month for twelve months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.