Another Horse In the Stable

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So last week I purchased a used "Late 2009" 21.5" iMac. I was looking for something not too large that I could set on the coffee table while watching TV. Ideally a model that could run Mavericks (it can)...and be upgraded to 8gig of ram (it can do 16gig). I sort of got tired of using the laptop. I usually like to keep the laptop plugged in...since I'm usually gaming...which "eats" the battery up quickly. Plus the laptop sort of restricts how you sit.

So I purchased the iMac from a family (Mom in this case) with three kids. I'm pretty sure that the computer was a Best Buy demo/floor model. I installed a program called 'Disk Drill" which (amoung other things), provides you with the number of "up time" hours. This computer has something like 19,500 hours on it (at least the HD). Doing the math...that works out to be something like 13+ hours/day (everyday) for about 4 years (so a lot of hours).

But hey...did I mention...I only paid $270 dollars for it!:)

It wasn't issue free.

- First of all...the three children were in the 3-6 years old range...so you can imagine the amount of "finger-cheese" near the power switch, the ports, the display, keyboard, and mouse!!!...yuck!!! I felt like the very first thing I needed to do when I got it home was to pressure wash it & sterilize!;)

- The seller told me that the optical disk wasn't working because one of the kids inserted a DVD "backwards". Of course this didn't seem logical...since the drive would have ejected the disk right away...or it would have been "ejectable" via the various methods. Well I took the computer apart to get to the drive...and what do I find...TWO DISKS jammed in there;)...one on top of the other! Unfortunately...even after removing the disks...the drive was still dead!:(

- While I was inside...I wanted to clean it. With 19,500 hours on it...I thought that it would be pretty dirty. But it really wasn't all that bad/dusty/fuzzy.:)

- Lastly...the bluetooth keyboard was a mess. All sorts of dirt, food stains on the keys, etc. Plus there must have been some sort of food/beverage spill on it...since the spacebar & about 5 keys were all gunked up (badly enough that the keyboard really wasn't useable).

At this point I normally would have given up on the keyboard...since the conventional wisdom is the aluminum keyboards aren't really repairable/cleanable. They are glued together...and not disassemblable. But I did some You Tube searches...and got some ideas. The "chicklet" keys can be popped off...which gave me access to the parts that may be sticking with syrupy liquid residue. Result...was able to clean all the "offensive" keys (Q-Tips + water)...and the keyboard now works great!:)

Bottom line. The computer & keyboard are working great (optical drive not working...which isnt too much of a big deal). For $270 bucks...a great deal for what I need it for.:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

I have put our 2008 21.5" iMac on the little desk in the kitchen. She uses it for checking email, and during the Christmas season watched streaming Christmas movies while she baked cookies. Perfect machine for that! It's been running 24/7 for years, as it also is the controlling hub for our controlled lighting system. I shudder to think how many hours the drive has been spinning in that machine. But I do ascribe to the theory that most electronic failures occur on startup and shutdown, not during steady operations, so keeping it running is just fine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That's a great deal.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have put our 2008 21.5" iMac on the little desk in the kitchen. She uses it for checking email, and during the Christmas season watched streaming Christmas movies while she baked cookies. Perfect machine for that!

We have a OLD G3 iBook (Clamshell type) in the kitchen for these things (recipe searches as well). It's REALLY showing it's age...and I really should upgrade it with something like an older iMac or Mac-Mini.

It's been running 24/7 for years, as it also is the controlling hub for our controlled lighting system. I shudder to think how many hours the drive has been spinning in that machine.

If you are at all curious...download the free demo of "Disk Drill". It gives you the total number of "up time" hours.

But I do ascribe to the theory that most electronic failures occur on startup and shutdown, not during steady operations, so keeping it running is just fine!

This is my belief as well...especially hard drives.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I love those kind of deals!

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Nice find. I'd love to get a cheap computer to practice and develop my server skills. I've got one but the USB ports are busted and while the PS2 ports work, none of my peripherals are PS2. So, it's collecting dust.

What do you plan on using it for?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Great deal Nick for $270 for sure! Good going. At my other house I was using my 20" Aluminum iMac same as you, on the Coffee table. I used to do all my Mac Forums IRC Chats from that system so I could also watch TV and relax on the sofa.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you plan on using it for?

Mostly internet surfing & online gaming while watching TV with the wife at night. I was doing this with the laptop...but then I felt restricted with my choice of lounging positons.;)

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great deal Nick for $270 for sure!

Yes it was a great deal!:) I'm almost always looking...but many times the planets all have to align to actually make a deal happen when buying on Craig's List.

For every great deal I come across & actually end up purchasing...there's probably 100 frustrating deals that fall thru for various reasons.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'd like to come across that deal you got on your Mac Pro!:)

- Nick

Actually, I think the best deal I ever got on a Mac was on the MacBook aluminum on for $300. Never had a problem with it...knock on wood. Actually, all my Macs have been really reliable....knock on lots of wood. But my Mac Pro easily gets used the most out of everything...BY FAR.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.