Remote access to another computer (macbook pro to iMac)

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to Mac Forums so hoping someone out there might be able to help. I'm trying to help my granddad fix something on his iMac, but I'm at my wits end trying to explain to him how to do it over the phone. I need to know how I can remotely access and control his iMac using my macbook pro (but ideally don't want to spend £60 on Apple's official remote desktop application or pay for some other expensive software). Windows used to have a really easy and free client software that enable me to do this when I used to have a PC. I'm surprised I can't find something that's just a simple to use on apple. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Have not tried LogMein but I have used TeamViewer for years and have been very happy with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots of folks have complained about Logmein, I would avoid it and instead go with TeamViewer as recommended by member docx. There is also CoRD which is open source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm curious to know about the logmein complaints.

I use it daily from Mac to Mac/PC, iPad to Mac/PC, iPhone to Mac/PC. Of all the solutions (various VNC flavours, native screen sharing, Splash, GoToMyPC etc) I have never found a more reliable, robust and feature complete solution.

I drop to teamviewer every now and again for support as you can do one-off, install-free connections. But other than that, logmein all the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
256bit encryption same as Team Viewer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.