G4 imac Question

Reaction score
I just picked one up without restore discs- I do have G4 macbook restore discs can I use them with this model M6498? I want to use this computer for video only. Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No you can't. The gray disks are model specific.

- Nick

p.s. There is no "G4 MacBook".;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would these be the correct ones?

I don't think that you want to install OS 9 (Very Very OLD OS version). I'm thinking that you want to install a version of Mac OS X...either OS 10.3 or 10.4 (these are actually old as well). But not as old as OS 9.

By the way...you do realize that this computer is between 9-12 years old...and in many ways is very out-dated? Depending on what you want to do...it may or may not be capable of doing it.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, All I want to do is run video and a photo slide show. Do you think it can handle that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kind of hard to say...it depends on the complexity of things. The larger the photos and the higher the resolution of the videos...the harder it will be for this computer.

It will probably be ok for the photos...the video part is harder to predict.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
will this be correct? Thanks

Back in post #2 I mentioned that the gray disks are model specific. You want to stay clear of the gray disks completely!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
D
Reaction score
Great info! I've always loved this imac design, thought it would be great to have it at my art studio just to show some of my work. Picked it up for $40, seemed worth the risk...however, getting it to run for a simple task is getting a bit frustrating.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes...the G4 iMac's were an interesting design (first iMac's with a flat panel display). And $40 bucks was a pretty good price.

Are you pursuing getting this computer working purely for it's "eye candy" / "eye-appeal" for your art studio (photos & videos)...or do you actually want to use it for day to day computing?

As far as the frustration...it's really not that bad. Once you know what to look for...it's mostly easy. Back in post #4 I mentioned that you probably need/want OS 10.3 or 10.4 for the computer. No gray disks. You need the full install retail OS install disks (as you should have seen in that thread I linked).

The only frustration is finding a good price.:)

- Nick

p.s. Make sure you have enough ram for the OS version you choose.
p.p.s. Also remember that you are working with a 9-12 year-old computer. And finding things is not always easy or cheap.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, just eye candy. I have a 2 level studio, during open house, 75% of visitor don't make it off the 1st landing so I thought I'd place this iconic piece up on the ledge (nice and heavy so it won't push off too easily) so my work could be viewed easily. Figured the operating system would be a cinch- since it old..

You're so right about the price, sheesh! Maybe these? A friend also picked one up, so we can split the $$ Genuine Apple OS x Server 10 4 Installation Pack 56 | eBay

Thanks again for taking the time to help out,

OP
D
Reaction score
I've ordered the discs thru the link provide, hope they show up, no tracking info!

My question is, can I use the discs in more than one computer? Before this goes into my studio, 3 of these G4s are going to be used in a gallery exhibit. Thanks ~D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.