sonnet tango compatibility with 2008 mac pro running mavericks

Reaction score
i'm trying to find a usb 3.0 pci express card that is compatible with a 2008 mac pro running mavericks.

The Sonnet Tango seems like a safe bet. http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tango3pcie.html

It seems to get good reviews for mac pros running mavericks. However, I want to be sure it's the right one for my 2008 computer, can anyone verify that it's the one or recommend another that would serve the same function and run on my computer? Or if there is one that is only USB 3.0? Firewire 800 is not a priority.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The price is right, ($99.00) however, someone with more knowledge of whether or not your 2008 Mac Pro can utilize this card is going to have to chime in here. Off hand, I would say if you have an available PCIe slot, it should work according to the manufacturer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I recall people having issues with this on Mac Pros 3.1 and older(issues with speed and failure to read/connect). What are you going to be using the USB 3.0 for?

This is one that is known to work on your Mac Pro from Other World Computing:
CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 : 2-port USB 3.0 & 2-port eSATA... in stock at OWC It has eSata and USB3.0, which I believe is more useful than firewire, but that's up to you.

I bought their eSata card for my Mac Pro 4.1 and it works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.