Setting u a Netgear WIFI range extender

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
J have just got a Netgear WN2500RP wifi range extender and am trying to set it up. I have an Orange Livebox, a MacBook Pro 13 on Maverics and an iMac 21 1/2 on Mountain Lion running on wifi from it.

The setup instructions lead me through all of the setup, but after the point where the Livebox has found the extender and it tells me. Wait a min, there has to be an easier way than trying to explain like this.

These are the setup instructions http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN2500RP/WN2500RP_IG_18NOV2011.pdf

I have got as far as page 8 and it tells to use a 'wireless network manager'. Call me thick, but apart from 'Systen Preferences' - 'Network' I have no idea what they are talking about. If I go to 'Sys Pref' - 'Network' there is no sign of the extender. If I look at the Livebox page on Firefox it tells me that the extender is connected to the Livebox.

Does anyone know what I need to do and where I can find this 'wireless network manager' please :eek::eek::eek:

P.S. The Livebox is only a 2.4 gig router.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They're telling you to connect to the wifi network that is created by the extender - it is named "NETGEAR_EXT".

You connect to it the same way you do your current network.
On your Mac - click on the network icon in the menu bar and select the netgear network.

If you don't have the network icon on your menu bar, head for System Preferences, Network - select the Wi-Fi on the left sidebar, then next to 'Network Name' click the arrows to select the netgear network.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Starred again Bob, thank you. I should have known to look in there. I was looking at the wifi tab, but forgot about the 'Network Name' tab :Oops::Oops:

One of the reasons for getting the extender is to try to find out what is causing the interference on our wifi system? It started a couple of months back and is very intermittent. Sometimes the wifi will drop out every 1/2 hour for a short time and other times once a day or two? I have tried to isolate it with no luck. It has been moved to a different place with no luck. We haven't had anything new in that time either. Our phones are cordless, but they are fully operational and the problem is so intermittent that I doubt it is them? In the wifi tab on 'System Preferences' there are no other wifi networks showing either. I have tried 3 or 4 different channels on the router as well.

When I first started chasing the problem I was monetoring the wifi with 'Wireless Diagnostics', but even when the wifi dropped the diags didn't show any fault. It didn't show the signal or noise graph, but I found another programme that did. I lost it again and can't find it again? Any ideas please?

This is what I see in wifi diags and this is what doesn't tell me there has been a fault

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Question would be: Are you losing the wifi connection or are you losing the internet connection? They are not the same thing. You can lose the internet connection and still have the wifi network working just as it should.

In either case - resetting the modem/router - unplugging it from power for 30 seconds, may well take care of it.

If you're talking about an intermittent internet connection - the problem is more than likely outside your control and it's time to call the ISP. They can try a reset from their side.

If it is the actual wi-fi signal that has become intermittent - after making sure it is not my computer with the problem - personally, I replace the modem/router at that point rather than spend time trying to fix a hardware problem I'm not going to solve.

Don't see that an extender is going to help solve either issue. An extender is just going to assist in extending the network into dead areas of the house where the existing signal doesn't go when it is working properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Agreed. If the wifi signal from the original router that failing the extender just takes that signal and re-broadcasts it so when one fails, so will the other.

From what you have said the issue is one of these:
1. You are losing the internet connection. This will impact all internet capable devices connected wirelessly or wired. You can often log into the router and see how long the internet connection has been active. That way you'll know for sure if the internet connection is dropping.

2. Your Mac is dropping the connection. You can test this by connecting to another wireless network. But we can rule this out if both Macs are experiencing disconnection

3. The router stops/interrupts the wifi broadcasting. If this is the case it's either a hardware issue so maybe a faulty router, firmware upgrade etc or you're getting strong channel interference from nearby. It's hard to track down non-wifi interference but you can use a free tool like iStumbler on your Macs to scan the area for networks. Move the wireless channel you're using on your router to be as far away from these competing networks as possible.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ta for both of your quick replies folks.

It is only the wifi that is dropping and both our MacBook and iMac drop at the same time so that rules out the computer end.

The Livebox has been changed so unless 2 have the same problem?? Very doubtfull.

The default channel on the router is 6 and I have tried 1, 11 and 13 as well. 13 is the top of the shop and is what it is on now. The wifi indicator on the router remains on at all times, even during the failures.

The reason for getting the extender was to extend the range, but also to see if it were possibly a weak signal even although the router is only a few yards away from both computers.

The nearest possible router to us is about 60 or so yards away and the house is empty all day, working and school. The wifi can drop at any time and has done so twice this morning, about 30 mins apart. Since then it has been working OK for several hours.

I am not sure if I mentioned it but I have tried moving the router into a different room but the problem was still the same. It has been in the same location for several years now and as far as I am awaire nothing much has changed.

This is what iStumbler is showing

Give me a mainframe or even twinex any time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The reason for getting the extender was to extend the range, but also to see if it were possibly a weak signal even although the router is only a few yards away from both computers.
Judging by the iStumbler image, signal strength is not the issue.

The Livebox has been changed so unless 2 have the same problem?? Very doubtfull.
If it's a firmware issue the replacement could have an identical issue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok. Based on that info it's you internet connection that's dropping.

You can check the router logs and you can also disable wifi on the MacBook and temporarily connect to the router by ethernet cable. If the wireless iMac and the wired MBP both lose internet connection then it's definately the internet connection dropping.

At that point it's either.....
- you're incoming connection (cabling, exchange, provider etc)
- your modem
- your router

Regardless, at this point. If you've proved the internet connection is dropping it's time to contact your provider

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am certain that the internet connection is OK.

We also have a VOIP phone as the house phone and that still operates when the wifi drops. Also as Bob said, the wifi can still operate even when the internet has dropped and it is the wifi icon at the top right of the screen that is showing that the is wifi droping.

The Livebox is showing that the internet has been up for the last 6 1/4 hours. We had a glitch in the power this morning at about 11.00 which accounts for that. I was not using either of the machines at that point.

It would be silly of me to ask advice and not act on it so I have connected the MBP to the router with an ethernet cable. I have left the wifi active otherwise I will not know if it has failed or not?

'Sys Preferences - Networks' is showing that the MBP is connected by the ethernet so I think that should be OK. If not then I will turn it off, but I won't be able to tell when/if the wifi does fail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
. I have left the wifi active otherwise I will not know if it has failed or not?
Your testing for network failure. it may impact ethernet and wifi so disable the wifi and stream a video or music etc if it stops it's failed

However, putting together everything you've said ........ the router is the issue.
Whether it's **** unlucky that two the same fail in the same way or that it's a poor firmware/hardware build. Doesn't really matter. From everything you've said it has to be that.

I'd be inclined to return the extender and get a get a brand new router (if permitted by your ISP)
or get something like a TP-Link Nano router or airport express. Either of these can connect to your existing router by ethernet and create a wireless network. You can then disable wifi on your router.
That's assuming the ethernet ports are working ok on your router.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My brain cell came up with an idea?

I have a Netgear DGB111G that a mate gave me several years back and it has sat in a cupboard since. Would it be possible to connect this by ethernet cable to my Livebox, swiitch the wifi off on the Livebox and on on the Netgear router and use the Netgear router as my wifi transmitter?

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have just got back in from a short walk and there is a report of a wifi failure while we were out. I am surprised because I had shut the MBP lid?

I frightened myself half to death by having a look at the log. There are hundreds of entries. None of which make any sense to me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My brain cell came up with an idea?

I have a Netgear DGB111G that a mate gave me several years back and it has sat in a cupboard since. Would it be possible to connect this by ethernet cable to my Livebox, swiitch the wifi off on the Livebox and on on the Netgear router and use the Netgear router as my wifi transmitter?

So long as you can disable the DCHP server or the second router, sometimes referred to as bridge mode, then yes. That will do the job

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ta for that mrplow.

I will have a look at that in the morning. Dinns will be served shortly and my G&T is going down too well at the mo. What with that and a drop or several of the red with me dinns it might not be a good idea at the moment ;)

That would at least prove if it is the Livebox??

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After looking at what is needed to connect the Netgear router to the Livebox for it to provide the wifi I am confused :eek: Is there any chance of a single sylable talk through on this one pretty please?

If I can hit it with a hammer I can normally fix it, but software is a mystry for me most of the time :Confused::Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cannot find a facility on that router (according to the online manual) to enable bridge mode/disable DCHP. So I fear it's not going to be of use.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That just about sums up my luck :'(

I had one fail all day yesterday. It just isn't logical?

I always hated intermittent faults when I worked for IBM. A bit like knitting fog.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intermittent and irregular faults are very frustrating. But from all you've posted it's definitely the wireless function of your livebox router that's at fault.

How you go forward with that depends on your preference and your ISP.

1. you could get onto your ISP and request a replacement router, perhaps a newer model. Or enquire over a firmware update
2. You could buy a new router for yourself (if your ISP allows third party replacements)
3. you could buy a wireless bridge (as noted above) to provide a dedicated wireless connection.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Orange have already changed it and wouldn't do so again. The firmware is up to date and is updated automatically. Our immediate neighbour has the same router and is not having any problems. The only difference between the two is that hers is set to the French language :eek:

Our phone is on VOIP and will only operate through a Livebox and mu OH would sneeze quite loudly if I start to spend much more trying to sort the problem :Not-Amused:

I want to keep the extender so that our MBP can be used by our pool in the summer, so a trade in isn't an option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can can only tell you what would resolve your issues. How you move forward is obviously up to you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.