New version of Pages doesn't capitalize new sentences automatically.

Reaction score
Hello,
Just downloaded the latest version of Pages (5.0.1 that is). Everything seems to work great. Except this one thing: it doesn't capitalize new sentences automatically anymore. I've a lot of typing to do, and having to adjust every new sentence by hand would take lots of time. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this issue? Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For what it is worth Niels I have given Pages away. Not compatible earlier versions of iWork, as you say no auto capitalizations and often not compatible with Office documents. Office 2011 for me for one! Very disappointed even if it is a cheaper product.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There doesn't seem to be a way to setup the "Spelling and Grammar" option to capitalize the first word of a sentence. What I suggest is to continue using the older version of Pages which you should still have and should still work fine independent of Pages for Mavericks.

Many of us are disappointed that Apple has dumbed down Pages for Mavericks from a good word processor to one which has been somewhat crippled. You might also notice that Apple has removed scripting from the new Pages, another bad move. :(

OP
N
Reaction score
I've asked this same question to several other people and they couldn't help me any further as well. Fortunately, I still have the Pages from iWork 09 installed. Bad move from Apple I'd say. I hope they better come with a solution soon! I can't imagine I'm the only one suffering from this problem!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They seem to be trying to make Pages and Numbers like the IOS versions. Bad move as things are missing. I had to go back to the 09 versions.

M

MacInWin

Personally, I think what they did was release the new Pages prematurely. They rewrote it from the ground up, released it with what features they finished and say they are completing the rewrite for later releases. I suspect they are going to see who complains about what and put the most demanded features in first, maybe not bother with anything that nobody notices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Personally, I think what they did was release the new Pages prematurely. They rewrote it from the ground up, released it with what features they finished and say they are completing the rewrite for later releases. I suspect they are going to see who complains about what and put the most demanded features in first, maybe not bother with anything that nobody notices.

Agree w/ the above, i.e. I would suspect improvements and features reappearing in updated additions - just another complaint - the new Pages does not open RTF files - WHY! Now TextEdit will - had to show my wife that Pages 09 was still on her iMac and can be used to open those rich text files - guess we could start a list! Dave :)

C

chas_m

I have to point out, as a professional writer and editor, that learning to write properly in the first place avoids the issue by making it impossible for you not to capitalise the beginning of a sentence. It's been my experience as a teacher and coach that people who don't capitalise by habit tend to take other "shortcuts" in their writing ... like relying on auto-correct to fix their spelling, etc.

As for Pages, MacInWin has it pretty much correct except for one thing: it's not premature, its quite deliberate. We've seen this over and over and over and over with Apple: periodically they will tear down an established "structure" and rebuild. Over time it surpasses the original in every way, but it takes time. I'm not a huge fan of it either, but it beats waiting 5+ years for a perfect version to come out. Apple felt they had covered the basics but apparently overlooked a couple of things (mentioned above) that are really necessary. Should be fixed soon enough, but here's a hint: when they deliberately leave the old version around and don't replace it outright, that means they are already well aware that the new rewrite is missing features that will be put back in later. That's why they leave the previous one there, so the power users can keep right on using it.

I've been teaching Pages to a bunch of new Mac users who have never worked with Pages before; they only know Word. So far they are ASTOUNDED at how much better Pages is for their purposes. I resist the temptation to tell them that if they like this Pages, they'd have loved the previous one. But to them it is very fresh, clean, and does everything they want it to do simply. They would not ever think of not capping a sentence and expecting the machine to do it for them (these are retired teachers, mostly!), so they don't notice stuff like that at all.

M

MacInWin

chas_m, I understand what you said but I think they still got it wrong in one key way. As I understand it, if you open a Pages document in the new Pages that was created in the old Pages and it used features not available, it stripped them from the document. And then if you realized the error and closed Pages, Pages saved the doc in the new format, which cannot be opened by the old Pages. That is NOT good.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As for Pages, MacInWin has it pretty much correct except for one thing: it's not premature, its quite deliberate.

If it's really quite deliberate as you say, I find that inexcusable. Even Microsoft with all their trickery and underhanded methods, has never dumbed down Office. It remains to be seen whether Apple will respond. But I can tell you they have made a lot of iWork users very unhappy in the meantime.

C

chas_m

chas_m, I understand what you said but I think they still got it wrong in one key way. As I understand it, if you open a Pages document in the new Pages that was created in the old Pages and it used features not available, it stripped them from the document. And then if you realized the error and closed Pages, Pages saved the doc in the new format, which cannot be opened by the old Pages. That is NOT good.

This is not correct. Opening a Pages document and closing without saving keeps it the way it was. I just tested this myself.

C

chas_m

If it's really quite deliberate as you say, I find that inexcusable. Even Microsoft with all their trickery and underhanded methods, has never dumbed down Office. It remains to be seen whether Apple will respond. But I can tell you they have made a lot of iWork users very unhappy in the meantime.

Were you not here for OS X 10.0, or iMovie 07, or the replacement of AppleWorks, or Final Cut X?

Just a few examples off the top of my head.

I don't understand the anger either -- the old version is right there where it always was. Don't like the new version? Trash it and wait a year, and keep on using the old version as before.

I'd understand the whining a lot more if they'd REMOVED the old version, but they didn't. I have to also point out that I use Pages and Keynote *every day* and apart from some initial confusion, the programs aren't missing a *single thing* I use in creating my documents and slideshows. In fact, while there are some things about the new versions I'm not crazy about, I *really enjoy* not having the Inspector anymore -- never liked that, seemed too "Macromedia"-ish to me. I also think the comments section in the new Pages is waaaaay better than the previous version, for the record.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually the new "Inspector" is one of the few things that I like over the older version. And you're correct about the previous version of the iWork apps still available for use. Most folks do not realize that they're still available which is why we try to remind them of that fact in each thread that comes up about the new Pages.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm glad I never create text documents. Now if I could get away from using spreadsheets 8-10 hours a day...

Must say, one of the things I hate and one of the first things that gets disabled on a new machine in the MS office suites is the freaking capitalize the first letter after a period.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Were you not here for OS X 10.0, or iMovie 07, or the replacement of AppleWorks, or Final Cut X?
That doesn't really excuse anything. In fact, that just shows that Apple has a pattern of doing this (long term it might be nice but the growing pains suck).

I'd understand the whining a lot more if they'd REMOVED the old version, but they didn't.
For a lot of people who never had the old version, this isn't the case. They are stuck with the new version (unless I'm missing something).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For a lot of people who never had the old version, this isn't the case. They are stuck with the new version (unless I'm missing something).

You're not missing anything. Apple has an open invitation to anyone who purchased a new Mac to download the iWork apps for free. When I purchased my new iMac and turned it on for the first time I was given that offer. No previous version of iWork existed on the machine. Fortunately, I had my original disk of iWork that I had purchased some time ago so was able to resurrect the older version of Pages. Those users who do not have an older version of iWork have no choice but to use the new apps.

M

MacInWin

This is not correct. Opening a Pages document and closing without saving keeps it the way it was. I just tested this myself.

That's not what I said. What I said was that if Pages opens a document with some feature that it no longer supports, it changes the document to delete the features and when you close Pages, it saves that changed version out. Just opening a file with supported features and then closing Pages hasn't generated any changes, so it doesn't save. I will say that I've not had that happen to me, but I've seen plenty of complaints about it on other sites, where users usually have to go retrieve earlier documents from backups to get back to the "missing" features. As I recall, the only message Pages gives is that it needs to reformat the document for the new version of Pages, and if the user agrees, it does what it wants. It apparently does NOT warn that it is stripping out the missing feature set, just that it needs to reformat for the new Pages file format.

For now the new Pages is buried in a folder marked "Not ready for prime time" and stays there until Apple sorts it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.