Snow Leopard to Mavericks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" OS X10.6.8
I'm new this forum and in the Apple's world.
Not so long ago I managed to make a somewhat complicated clean install of Snow Leopard and now I'm facing a possible update to 'Maverickx'.

According "About this Mac" I guess that I have 2x 1GB DDR2 SDRAM.

I wonder if it would be advisable to replace both and use 2x 2 GB RAM just for Maverickx.

On the other hand I read somewhere that some Apple units support up to 3 GB only. (???)

So my concern is what is best in this case. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I know that 1GB of RAM was not enough for Mountain Lion, so I doubt that it's sufficient for Mavericks. You're going to have to post more about your computer. Which exact model is it? It's not enough that it's a Core 2 Duo Intel processor, for instance. Mine is, and it won't run Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
More information needed.

Early 17" MBP will not run Mavericks, only Lion so we need the model number. Apple specs nominate 2GB of memory but that is tiny. If your MBP only supports 3GB max that would indicate it is not compatible with mavericks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you.

"Early" or "Mid" !?
Apple has a strange way to define their "models" !

I hope this might be helping :

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,2
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2,16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP12.0061.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.5f10
Serial Number (system): W861909QTJ1
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB955B44
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
"Early" or "Mid" !?
Apple has a strange way to define their "models" !

If you are new to the "Apple World" (as you mentioned in post #1)...then things will be different. Stay open-minded.:)

It all makes perfect sense...when you understand how things work.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
According to MacTracker, 10.6.8 is the most you can run.
Mactracker

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Mighty Gem says Snow Leopard is it for your older model MBP.

Download a little application called Mactracker that provides information on all models Apple has released. That information you supplied Model 1.2 is the key to finding any information on your computer. And 2GB is it regarding memory.

http://mactracker.ca

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you

Thank you all for your fast reactions. My question is resolved.

Why do I have an older model ? Actually it was a gift from a person who has bought a new Mac (again). I'm happy to learn about Apple's operating sytem !!

Reasons :
- Enthousiasm of the users. Each owner seems convinced about fawless use, and buy always Apple again.
- Deceiving experiences over the years with every version of M$ Windows. Some issues remain unsolved over many years and are dragged from one version to the next, to the point it becomes ridiculous.

Of course, nothing is perfect (to begin with the astonishing and unbelieveble fact that there is no Delete key on the keyboards). OS X is human made, so there will always remain some problems. But I see that this community is very active and kindly willing to help, even with basic knowledge.

Let's hope that one day we might have a universal OS, totally transparent to the users.
All users should have the impression that there is none. I hope to get the question in a new generation : "What is an OS ?"

After using M$ stuff from the time it was born, I wish I could send them a bill for all the wasted hours in my lifetime.
I would easely use that total amount of time and money, to enjoy at least one full year vacation !

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why do I have an older model ? Actually it was a gift from a person who has bought a new Mac (again). I'm happy to learn about Apple's operating sytem !!

No need to explain. Many of us use older model Mac's.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Of course, nothing is perfect (to begin with the astonishing and unbelieveble fact that there is no Delete key on the keyboards).

Not sure what you're talking about here. Of course there is a delete key on all Mac keyboards.

Let's hope that one day we might have a universal OS, totally transparent to the users.
All users should have the impression that there is none.

That has happened. It's called iOS. Google liked it so much they copied it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Of course, nothing is perfect (to begin with the astonishing and unbelieveble fact that there is no Delete key on the keyboards).

The Delete key, which is in the same position as the backspace key on a typical Windows machine, essentially acts as a backspace (delete characters behind the cursor). If you use it in tandem with the Fn key, it will operate as the traditional Windows Delete, which removes the character ahead of the cursor.

It's not that there is none, it's just that it works differently than what you've come to expect after (likely) decades of using Windows machines.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thought I would mention this. Reason you can not go above 10.6.8 Snow Leopard is you have an Intel Core Duo. A Core Duo was a 32-Bit CPU. From the Core2Duo and on they were 64-Bit. All newer versions of OSX need a 64-Bit CPU to run.

Snow Leopard still runs great here on my older iMac. If we can help you in any way, be sure to ask.

Enjoy your older Macbook Pro!

C

chas_m

cwa: thanks for clearing that up. Funny, my keyboards (the 2009 MBP and the current Apple BT keyboard) both call it a delete key. :)

Leave it to windows to have different terms for which direction you delete ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.