How fast is your connection from your internet provider?

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what speed you guys are purchasing for your home internet? I'm currently subscribed to a mid-level package that says I should be getting about 25 mbps on downloads and 5 mbps on uploads. I checked on speediest.net and it's saying that I'm getting about 30 download and about 5 upload. I'm thinking about updating my package to the next level which would be about a $20 jump and the speeds would be double, about 50mbps download and 10 mbps upload.

My question is if we would actually see a noticeable difference? I'm asking because we just switched to an Apple Airport Extreme and as I understand it, it doesn't prioritize speed to the device that requires it such as for streaming movies or playing multiplayer games online. I also recently tried to make a reservation on-line for an event and my system was so slow that I could get a reservation. I do realize that part of this slowness during the reservation was due to the servers for the reservation system being overwhelmed but I can't help but wonder if I had a faster connection, would it have helped. I also play COD Ghosts and notice some lag some times. Don't know if it's on my end or the server but it's there.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
My connection is 30megs down when I check it on a speed test it gets 30 down and 5 up. My provider is going to 60megs some time this spring for the same price. I have a Airport Extreme 802.11.ac All has worked good for me. I use a wire from the Airport to my xbox to play online games. Have a smart TV 3 laptops and 2 iphones running. All seems good have noticed no lag.

If the web site you are connecting to is slow a faster connection will not help that much if at all. Not really an expert on this issue but I'm not sure if a speed increase will help wireless service that much anyway. The wireless devices can only transmit so much data at a time. So it may get to your modem faster but will it get to you wireless device faster? I think it will help some but you not going to see the full increase.

OP
H
Reaction score
My connection is 30megs down when I check it on a speed test it gets 30 down and 5 up. My provider is going to 60megs some time this spring for the same price. I have a Airport Extreme 802.11.ac All has worked good for me. I use a wire from the Airport to my xbox to play online games. Have a smart TV 3 laptops and 2 iphones running. All seems good have noticed no lag.

If the web site you are connecting to is slow a faster connection will not help that much if at all. Not really an expert on this issue but I'm not sure if a speed increase will help wireless service that much anyway. The wireless devices can only transmit so much data at a time. So it may get to your modem faster but will it get to you wireless device faster? I think it will help some but you not going to see the full increase.

I have the new Airport Extreme 802.11 ac as well. My modem is in the master bedroom closest where the home builder placed the network panel. I have a cat 5 cable running from the modem to my family room where we have our Airport Extreme set up. From there, I have my PS4 hard wired into it and then I take another cat 5 cable and run it back to the master bedroom closet to a belkin 8 way splitter. From there, the splitter feeds other computers in other rooms via cat 5 cables as well. I have the splitter hard wired to my iMac and secondary computer in my office along with a printer so that I can take advantage of eprint. I also have my wife's laptop hardwired to the splitter in her temp office upstairs in an extra bedroom. The reason why I have the router in the family room is because that's where we spend most of our time with our wireless devices and this way all of our wireless devices has the best reception with the router. We have two iphone 5's connected to it as well as two ipad2's connected to it along with various other wireless devices. Wife's laptop, my laptop, kids' 3ds xl, wii u, Sony PSP, etc... Of course, these devices are not all connected at the same time but this gives you an idea of our connected devices.

I would have to think that increasing the mbps would improve speed but I guess that's where I'm not sure about the devices that I have connected to the router and if they would benefit at all. Hopefully, someone can look at my connected devices and let me know if I would actually benefit or not. Otherwise, it seems shady for my internet provider to advertise that the lower tier internet packages are goof for basic web searching and email whereas the higher tier internet packages are good for on-line multiplayer games and video streaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I have the new Airport Extreme 802.11 ac as well. My modem is in the master bedroom closest where the home builder placed the network panel. I have a cat 5 cable running from the modem to my family room where we have our Airport Extreme set up. From there, I have my PS4 hard wired into it and then I take another cat 5 cable and run it back to the master bedroom closet to a belkin 8 way splitter. From there, the splitter feeds other computers in other rooms via cat 5 cables as well. I have the splitter hard wired to my iMac and secondary computer in my office along with a printer so that I can take advantage of eprint. I also have my wife's laptop hardwired to the splitter in her temp office upstairs in an extra bedroom. The reason why I have the router in the family room is because that's where we spend most of our time with our wireless devices and this way all of our wireless devices has the best reception with the router. We have two iphone 5's connected to it as well as two ipad2's connected to it along with various other wireless devices. Wife's laptop, my laptop, kids' 3ds xl, wii u, Sony PSP, etc... Of course, these devices are not all connected at the same time but this gives you an idea of our connected devices.

I would have to think that increasing the mbps would improve speed but I guess that's where I'm not sure about the devices that I have connected to the router and if they would benefit at all. Hopefully, someone can look at my connected devices and let me know if I would actually benefit or not. Otherwise, it seems shady for my internet provider to advertise that the lower tier internet packages are goof for basic web searching and email whereas the higher tier internet packages are good for on-line multiplayer games and video streaming.

My provider has no lower tier anymore. It's all one speed 30 and going to 60 soon. The network cards have a built in speed overhead. Wired cards are 100mbs and 1000mbs I think. Not sure what the PS4 has but the new xbox one has 1000 I think. N wireless card are 144mbs and G are 54mbs. All wired cards are subject to interference that slows the connection. Being as close as you are interference should be minimized. The 802.11ac broadcast on two frequency's to help interference and distance.

I think the only way to know for sure is to try it. I would think ever installation would be different. Will I jump on any higher speed I can get? Yes sir. Will it make my laptop faster not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Lucky devils. Rural Australia fastest speed here is 8Mbps! And that is early AM on a good day!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Harry.... you need to move out of the boon docks to the big city with all the bright lights, traffic, more property taxes, and fast internet! :p

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Raz0rEdge for the link. I've done the speed test but never the ping test. When I clicked on the link, it gave me a description of what the ping test is. I didn't know that it too is an important aspect of streaming video and on-line games. I ran the test and got 42ms ping and11ms jitter. My system is rated as b+ and it went on to explain that for most online applications, I should be good but for some online gaming, I might not be performing as optimally as I should be.

With that, I guess my question is can I improve my ping test or is that completely reliant on my internet provider? If I can improve it, would jumping to the next tier improve this? Again, my next tier would take me from 25 mbps to 50mbps. That's all the internet provider advertises. Nothing about ping results. Sorry for these dumb questions as I don't understand "pinging."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Lucky devils. Rural Australia fastest speed here is 8Mbps! And that is early AM on a good day!

Hey Harry.... you need to move out of the boon docks to the big city with all the bright lights, traffic, more property taxes, and fast internet! :p

HAHA Charlie. He think he lives in the Rural boonies, when you look up Katanning, the Great Southern, where we will get 30-40K sheep today at the Sheep Sales, i reckon I'm in the boonies lol
But as speed goes, i'm getting 16Down, and i was getting FIOS in the 1st ½ of the year, until the Government Changed :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone6s, Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iPad Pro
I have FIOS, which says I'm paying for 30 Meg Up & 30 Meg down. This has always been a funny topic because the faster I've seen is 4 megs down. When I hit 4megs download every other device that stops working on the net.:Angry:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're paying for 30 Meg down and only getting 4 Meg, something's wrong. Time to call Verizon and have them come out and find out what's going on with your connection. I'm paying for 50 Meg down and 30 Meg up and usually get between 50 and 60 Meg down on my FIOS connection.

I had them come out last year and install all new equipment after a critter chewed through my line coming from the outside box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I knew you voted for Tony Brent to spite me!

There will be no NBN roll out here alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.