1st Gen iPod touch more memory?

Reaction score
I've got a 1st gen iPod that clearly Apple abandoned years ago updating so I barely use it but my question here is, can I take it to any sort of place to rip out the current memory card in there and replace it with a 32GB or even a 16GB card? I'm strictly using it as an iPod and Pandora streamer since I can't use it for anything else anymore without jailbreaking it which i don't know if I want to do. Is what I want to to possible or should I just buy a whole new iPod.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure you can do it with an iPod touch, but some iPod models (classic and older) can be modified with a larger drive by using a full sized SD memory card. Check it out at iFixit: The free repair manual.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can get around this by using more streaming services at home. Maybe something like this would help.

OP
J
Reaction score
Not sure you can do it with an iPod touch, but some iPod models (classic and older) can be modified with a larger drive by using a full sized SD memory card. Check it out at iFixit: The free repair manual.

You can replace the logic board on it but, a new logic board for that device really isn't worth it, especially when a 32gb board costs $120 from iResQ which was the first one I found, I'd rather just buy a whole new device at that point.

OP
J
Reaction score
You can get around this by using more streaming services at home. Maybe something like this would help.

Streaming isn't what I was looking for because one summer is here, I do like to travel and racking up a wireless data bill tethering my iPod to my phone for that to work is the last thing I need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.