Macbook Pro early 2013 with better specs, or late 2013 with less specs

Reaction score
Question guys. First time Mac buyer and I'm looking at two Macbook Pro models and want to get your thoughts for comparison purposes. I will use the machine for programming tasks as well as some consumer level image and video editing. Which do you find to be a better buy for me?

Option 1) $2360.00

"early 2013" model Macbook Pro with:
2.7ghz i7 processor
16gb ram
512 gb hard drive

vs.

Option 2) $1899.00

"late 2013" model Macbook Pro with:
2.0 ghz i7 processor
8gb ram
256 gb hard drive

So what's the better bet, the early 2013 with better specs, or the late 2013 model?

Thanks for your insight,
Brian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First thing to understand about the machines you chose: They are Retina 15" MacBook Pro models. As such, they are non upgradeable. In other words, what you buy, you have to live with.

With that in mind, option 1, the more expensive of the two is probably the better buy, not necessarily the least expensive. Also, something not mentioned is the fact that option 1 has better graphics which is a consideration not to be overlooked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.