Sub-$200 128GB CompactFlash Memory Cards

Reaction score
Has anyone used the following 128GB CompactFlash Memory Cards from RiData/RiTek? My sole experience with this brand is with their blank CDs and DVDs.

I learned about these really "low" cost memory cards from another forum when I asked about 128GB CF cards selling for under $200.

RDCF128G-1000X-LIG.jpg

RDCF128G-800X-LIG.jpg

RDCF128G-400X-LIG.jpg

On the forum I was linked to this site RiDATA | My Digital Discount

Not buying from them as it means import duties charges if I ship em to where I am currently at and I have found the local distributor.

Robgalbraith.com benchmarked the RiData 600x cards performing within a permissible range. I would assume the 1000x, 800x and 400x will be as consistent, hopefully.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Note:

- Not associated with RiData, RiTek or their resellers
- Just want to get end-user feedback for this sub-$200 128GB CompactFlash memory card from actual owners.
- Yes, I know the maxim of not "putting all your eggs in one basket". Same was said back in 2003 when 128MB (Megabyte) memory cards were $100 and 1GB cards were $1,000.
- Not spamming forums. I just want end-user feedback. There are no reviews on RiData's 400x, 800x or 1000x lines of CompactFlash memory cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I haven't used them. I pretty much stick to SanDisk or Samsung memory cards. I got most recently the Samsung 64GB for 69 bucks. It transfers data at 80 MB/s, isn't the fastest, but its water proof and magnet proof and has like a 10 year or so warranty..

Memory card market is a hard one for companies trying to sell to photographers, its just when you spend over 5000 dollars on gear just to skimp out on a cheap card is just asinine. SanDisk has managed to get themselves at the top of the market due to their reliability and reasonable pricing. But mostly their reliability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
That is something to think about. Thank you for your time to reply.

I have seen RiData branded products on Newegg. Often they are labeled as a cheap generic product and often given low user reviews. Although never seen a review on their flash memory. But like I said, if your pictures are important to you. Then stick with what is tested and proven.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I agree with Exodist.

1) If you aren't going to come close to filling it you don't need 128GB
2) 128Gb is a LOT of pictures
3) From what I have seen when Flash Memory fails it is often sudden and unrecoverable

Bottomline: even if it only doubles a slight risk that I will lose my pics, saving $50 isn't worth it to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would also like to point out, you don't always need supper fast SD cards. Normal photography and even time lapse photography are perfectly at home on standard low speed SD cards. Which btw are very affordable. The only time you need a extreme high speed card is for 720p @ 60FPS or 1080p video, and of course sports and wild wildlife photography. So if you just shoot portraits of people, landscapes and even some wildlife. A standard 32GB SanDisk card will work wonderfully and is only about $20 US Dollars.. Besides nothing is stopping you from buying multiple cards :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.