Unable to load or view pdf files in Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac27, mid 2011 w/2TB HD, 16G RAM, OS X 10.8.5
This issue just started a couple days ago. In Finder if I click on any pdf file I am not able to see the file in the small preview screen to the right of the file. If I try to select the Preview pgm in Finder I get an error telling me "The Application can't be found. I can't load a pdf file to an email. The file icon doesn't look red and white like a pdf icon.

What is going on?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check your Applications folder and see if the "Preview.app" is listed there. If it's missing, it may have been moved or accidentally deleted. Do a Spotlight search for it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac27, mid 2011 w/2TB HD, 16G RAM, OS X 10.8.5
It is in the Applications folder with all the other apps. If I open Preview in it's own Finder window or what looks like a Finder window with Preview at the top of the window, all the pdf files look correct with the pdf icon for a file icon and I can see the miniature file in the small window to the right of the file. If I use a regular Finder window I am seeing just a blank document in the preview window to the right of the file. I just clicked on Get Info on the folder where I keep all of my files, including all the pdf files and at the bottom of theInfo window is the Sharing and Permissions and there is a "Fetching" name there. I guess it can't find some files? I keep all of these files on an external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.