Early 2008 Macbook Pro, Numark Mixtrack Pro II & Serato DJ Intro Problems...

Reaction score
Hello,
So I bought a factory refurbished Early 2008 Macbook Pro last March. I have had nothing but problems ever since. I have never been able to make my Serato DJ Intro and my Mixtrack Pro II work together with my computer. It has completely crashed it several times. I've been able to get the computer up and running again after every crash but I've just stopped trying to make it work with Serato and Mixtrack. The plan was to upgrade the RAM and replace the Hard Drive with my next tax return. On Saturday I had a gig. I've been just using my Mixtrack with my iPods until I can get Serato working. The computer has a full charge. All green lights light up on the bottom and there is no problem with the charger but the computer won't turn on at all. I've tried all of the trouble shooting tactics I could think of and find online and no luck. So now I'm just wanting to pick everyone's brains here about whether you think it is worth it to try to upgrade the RAM and replace the Hard Drive or if I need to just bite the bullet and get a new computer. I'm concerned I'm going to drop a bunch of dough on the upgrades/replacements and then it's still not going to work. If I upgrade the RAM is 6GB enough? Is a 500GB Hard Drive enough? If everyone thinks I should just get a new computer, what is the best and cheapest computer available to use with Mixtrack Pro II and Serato DJ Intro/Itch, etc.? I also plan to upgrade to one of the better Serato products as well. Which one works best with Mixtrack Pro II? I know this is a lot to ask and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So now I'm just wanting to pick everyone's brains here about whether you think it is worth it to try to upgrade the RAM and replace the Hard Drive or if I need to just bite the bullet and get a new computer.

A "factory refurbished 2008 MBP"? Certainly not refurbished by Apple. I hate to tell you this but you purchased an older MacBook Pro of which that particular model year had problems. Generally buying an older refurbished machine like that is not a good idea because it can lead to spending more money on it than it's worth.

My recommendation would be to sell it as is and get what you can for it, and apply that money and your upcoming tax return to purchase either a new MacBook Pro or a genuine factory refurbished MacBook Pro from the Apple refurbished site. Apple genuine refurbished models come with a factory new warranty and can save you $.

Also, welcome to our forums!

OP
K
Reaction score
Early 2008 Macbook Pro...

Thank you for your reply. I was afraid of that. Well, we do not have a lot of money to work with. Where do you suggest selling the computer as is if we can't get it to turn on? Also, do you not feel like it would be worth it to try to replace the RAM and Hard Drive? In your opinion is there still a good chance of encountering more problems down the road or of that not even fixing the problem? We are going to need a computer that can support the storage of a lot of music and the operation of DJ software and a mixer. Do you have any suggestions on the best and cheapest computer that could handle this and is not going to give us problems? p.s, This will be a combination of my husband and I trouble shooting. I'm the one who fixes/troubleshoots our computers and makes our computer, software and accessories purchases but he is the one with the DJ business and who operates the computer, mixer and DJ software while working.

Thank you,

Krista & Kevin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can well understand the money part.... been there done that. As far as selling the MacBook Pro for parts, you can always post it for free on Craig's List. I would suggest eBay, but that will cost you money. I honestly can not recommend spending any more money on that machine. To me, it's like trying to fix a real old car that keeps breaking down. Something like that can be aggravating and a waste of money and time.

Trying to find something that's the cheapest and best may be difficult and might eventually lead to the same problem. If you and your husband are set on using a MacBook Pro for his DJ business, refurbished from Apple would be best, however, not necessarily the least expensive. You might keep your eyes open for an individual selling a MacBook Pro in your local newspaper or Green Sheet, but of course buying from an individual also has its dangers.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you. The more I look the more I feel like we were taken for a ride. We didn't know much about Macs when we made this purchase. I have always had PCs. My husband found the refurbished Mac on Ebay and the seller had all 5 star ratings. It was the cheapest we could find and it seemed legit. He charged us almost $600 and we've never been able to use it for it's intended purpose. I just ran the specs on a site that buys Macs and even if it looked and ran like it had never been used it would only be worth $240. This was a definite learning experience and I'm pretty bummed right now. I am going to contact the seller and let him know everything that we went to and see what he suggests. If he has nothing to say for himself I will, at the very least, write a review to warn future purchasers.

Thank you so much,

Krista

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.