Problem with macbook pro after putting in new RAM

E

Emem

I just upgraded the RAM to 8GB DDR3 1600mhz (2 x 4GB) in my Macbook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010). Started it up and opened programs and it ran fine. I closed it and turned it over to put the rest of the screws back in and when I opened it back up the screen wouldn't turn back on. I force restarted it and it wouldn't start back up. I force restarted it again and it started up but I got a message saying it restarted because of a problem. I have the problem report that sends to apple about the problem. Can anyone tell me if this is a reoccurring issue or a one time problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you received a kernel panic when you restarted your MacBook Pro. That's a good indication of a problem with either the memory modules you inserted or they are not seated correctly.

Your MacBook Pro uses these modules:

Maximum Memory 8.0 GB
Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

It appears you used incorrect memory modules in your machine. My advice is to return them, replace your old modules, and order the correct memory from either OWC or Crucial.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to notebook section.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's fine, but it's still the wrong memory that you purchased. Buying faster memory means nothing since it will slow down to match the system bus anyway. But, it's up to you whether or not you should return it for the correct modules.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I closed it and turned it over to put the rest of the screws back in and when I opened it back up the screen wouldn't turn back on.

Can anyone tell me if this is a reoccurring issue or a one time problem?

Sometimes with some Mac models if the computer isn't fully assembled...it will not operate properly. The computer has "sensors" of a sort that know if the computer is not completely assembled.

In your case...if all the screws were not installed in the cover on the bottom of the computer after installing the ram...when you flipped the computer over initially...the bottom cover may have "opened" a bit/momentarily...making the computer think it was not fully assembled.

Next time install all of the screws before trying to turn it on.;)

- Nick

p.s. Crucial is good sells good ram...and has a great return policy. If you continue to have probems with the new ram...return it for replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.