Error installing Windows 7 on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5, iPhone 5
As soon as I click on "Install Now" I get an error message: "Windows Setup encountered an internal error while loading or searching for an unattend answer file." I have OSX 10.9.1. Before the error I partitioned the hard disk (for 25 GB Windows) using Boot Camp, and downloaded the latest Windows support software onto a USB drive. After inserting the Windows 7 install disk a DOS-like "Windows is loading files..." appears, then "Starting Windows." I click on "Install Now" and the error message appears. Of course it tells me nothing else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Describe to us what kind of Windows 7 disk you're using to install? For example: Microsoft boxed Windows 7 x 32 or 64 bit full version? OEM System Builder's full version?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5, iPhone 5
Thanks for the quick reply. The packaging that contained the disk is an OEM System Builder Pack. It is 64-bit, SP 1. Did I buy the wrong software?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, that's a good version, it should have worked. The reason I asked is because I've never seen that error before and thought maybe you were using the wrong version.

I didn't follow the sequence of installation you used. I suggest trying again but make sure you install Windows 7 first before installing the driver package you downloaded from Apple.

Also, Boot Camp initially formats the partition as FAT-32 but during the Windows 7 installation the Boot Camp partition must be formatted to NTFS. The installer should ask you which partition you wish to install Windows 7 to and also format it properly. I don't know if you got that far or not.

And this is important... run disk utility first to make sure there are no errors on the hard drive. Do that before installing Windows 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wonder if 25GB is actually enough space? My Windows 7 64bit Pro uses 28GB with only limited applications installed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that is a bit tight for Windows 7 x 64 bit and of course depends on how much software is installed. One game like MS Flight Simulator can easily take up 25 GB if you install all the scenery and extras.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5, iPhone 5
Thank you all for your responses. I have taken your suggestions (increased disk space for Windows to 45GB and verified/repaired Mac HD), but still getting same result.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You stated that you verified and repaired your Macintosh HD... are you sure there are no more remaining errors on the drive? Windows 7 will not install on a drive that reports errors to it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5, iPhone 5
Thanks for your response. I'm pretty sure there aren't any remaining errors on the drive. On Disk Utility I verified and repaired the Apple HDD and the Mac HD and both said everything is OK. Is there something else I should be doing to confirm?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are unable to repair a disk you are booted from. You need either to boot from the DVD, OS X.6 or earlier, or run Recovery if later. Go into Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk from there.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5, iPhone 5
That's what I did -- I went to Applications-Utilitites-Disk Utility and did the verify and repair from there. Is there a better way to do it?
I'm wondering if the install disk is corrupted. How often does that happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you put the Windows 7 disk in the drive under OSX can it be mounted? Can you view the contents etc?
Did you format the drive to NTFS during the Windows install? (or does it not get that far?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You cannot run Repair Disk from the Utilities folder. Must be booted from either the install DVD or via Recovery mode

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what I did -- I went to Applications-Utilitites-Disk Utility and did the verify and repair from there. Is there a better way to do it?

As Harry pointed out, you can not repair the disk that way because it remains mounted. The disk must be dismounted before it can be repaired. That means booting from another disk or from the Recovery partition, again as Harry has been telling you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any joy srickm repairing the hard drive from Recovery or the install DVD?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5, iPhone 5
I have no idea what dismounting a disk is. Can you explain?
Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.