Is the basic Mac Mini too slow ?

C

curious

Hi guys,

My Dad is ready for a new computer. I've suggested he take a look at Mac (he usually buys Dell, just like me). One problem is price. Thanks to Dell discounts and coupons, he can usually get a pretty decent computer for around $500/$600.

The only Mac priced even *close* to this is the Mac Mini. The basic Mac Mini is only $500, although it requires the purchase of monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.

Anyway, my question is about computer speed. If I convince my Dad to buy a Mac Mini, and he finds it too slow compared to his past Dells, I'm in big trouble.

So... for those that own the basic 1.25GHz Mac Mini, have you ever found it to be too slow for anything? Any comments on the Mac Mini's speed & performance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I have the basic macmini, I upgraded the ram to 1GB, and now I can run itunes, surf the net, check emails, type a word document, have a spreadsheet open and it runs fine. The only thing it might be slow on is maybe video editing, or major photo editing.

By the way I am selling mine with a bunch of extras if you are interested. I bought an ibook so I want to sell the mini.

OP
C

curious

hondagus87 said:
I have the basic macmini, I upgraded the ram to 1GB, and now I can run itunes, surf the net, check emails, type a word document, have a spreadsheet open and it runs fine.
Hmm... does this mean that you are *not* able to do these things with the default 512mb of RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I was able to do things with the 512mb, but it made it so nice just getting the 1gb, it now zooms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
curious said:
Hmm... does this mean that you are *not* able to do these things with the default 512mb of RAM?

No... it runs more fluidly with 1GB versus 512MB. OSX leaves alot of RAM in cache to avoid writing to disk as much. The extra RAM allows OSX to breathe easier ;) If there's an Apple store nearby I suggest you try one hands on. A Best Buy *may* have one on display but I haven't seen one in a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
deus_ex_machina said:
No... it runs more fluidly with 1GB versus 512MB. OSX leaves alot of RAM in cache to avoid writing to disk as much. The extra RAM allows OSX to breathe easier ;) If there's an Apple store nearby I suggest you try one hands on. A Best Buy *may* have one on display but I haven't seen one in a while.

Another place to try out a Mac Mini is CompUSA. I found this to be the best place to tryout Mac's because no other shoppers were using them, and the sales people left me alone.

OP
B

Badger

curious said:
Hi guys,

My Dad is ready for a new computer. I've suggested he take a look at Mac (he usually buys Dell, just like me). One problem is price. Thanks to Dell discounts and coupons, he can usually get a pretty decent computer for around $500/$600.

The only Mac priced even *close* to this is the Mac Mini. The basic Mac Mini is only $500, although it requires the purchase of monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.

Anyway, my question is about computer speed. If I convince my Dad to buy a Mac Mini, and he finds it too slow compared to his past Dells, I'm in big trouble.

So... for those that own the basic 1.25GHz Mac Mini, have you ever found it to be too slow for anything? Any comments on the Mac Mini's speed & performance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

One thing to consider: If you are buying the package - mini, keyboard, mouse and monitor - you get very close or over the cost of an iMac.

OP
C

curious

Badger said:
One thing to consider: If you are buying the package - mini, keyboard, mouse and monitor - you get very close or over the cost of an iMac.
Really? The keyboard & mouse are quite cheap... so I'm guessing you're referring to a fairly expensive monitor? Which one? How much? Also, which iMac are you referring to?

Actually, this brings up another question: can any monitor be used? or only particular ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
any monitor that accepts dvi, or vga with the adapter. I have the complete setup mini, external dvd burner, external hard drive (200GB), monitor (19"LCD), keyboard and mouse for sale right now for 750, so it actually depends where you get your stuff I guess if you say it costs what an imac costs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
You can use any Monitor with the Mini, as long as you have the DVI to VGA adapter, which comes standard with the Mini.

I have the 1.25ghz version of the Mini and run a 19" Samsung Sync Master LCD, no problems what so ever. I also do A LOT of video editing and sound creation on it, and I have never had a problem with it.

Rendering the Video's does take more time then I would like, but I do it at night when its cold anyways, so it can dedicate more power to the render.

I would say to go to CompUSA and try one out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
JGruber said:
You can use any Monitor with the Mini, as long as you have the DVI to VGA adapter, which comes standard with the Mini.

I have the 1.25ghz version of the Mini and run a 19" Samsung Sync Master LCD, no problems what so ever. I also do A LOT of video editing and sound creation on it, and I have never had a problem with it.

Rendering the Video's does take more time then I would like, but I do it at night when its cold anyways, so it can dedicate more power to the render.

I would say to go to CompUSA and try one out.

HAHA beat ya to it,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
RAM is the biggest indicator of how 'fast' your mac will be. More ram, it will be faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
i have the 1.42ghz with the 512, runs great play games fine, i know the 1.25ghz model will do fine for basic computer use. But get the 599 1.42ghz model. Its way worth it. Plus the extra hard drive space is essential. Unless you need a modem, the 1.25 ghz model is the only one that comes with one.

Keep in mind. All USB Mice and Keyboards work on it. Ive tried SEVERAL that ive had laying around and all work great.

Just my .02

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The mac mini will be fine for a first mac, It does everything and will only be slow for movie editing, advanced photoediting or music mastering..

OP
C

curious

maz94protege said:
Unless you need a modem, the 1.25 ghz model is the only one that comes with one.
Believe it or not, my dad is still on dial-up -- so he needs the modem.
I'm trying to convince him to go DSL/Cable, but one thing at a time... :)

OP
C

curious

PowerBookG4 said:
The mac mini will be fine for a first mac, It does everything and will only be slow for movie editing, advanced photoediting or music mastering..
Cool. I don't think he'll be doing any of the above.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
curious said:
Believe it or not, my dad is still on dial-up -- so he needs the modem.
I'm trying to convince him to go DSL/Cable, but one thing at a time... :)

if he can take the speed of dial up.. then the speed of the mac mini should not be in question.. ;)

OP
B

BEEEsH

curious said:
Cool. I don't think he'll be doing any of the above.

Thanks!

Once you buy a keyboard, mouse and a screen (speakers as well) you may as well get a nice Imac. I'm sure you can pick up a g5 imac (latest revision before intel) for a pretty decent price.

$1499 for the top model g5 with a 20" screeen. Can't go wrong there.
or
That same model refurbished for $1299. Thats a crazy good deal.

If its definitely about price, then I'm sure you can still find an Emac someplace (campus bookstore/computerstore if your in college) And that is a much better all in one package than the mac mini.

OP
C

curious

PowerBookG4 said:
if he can take the speed of dial up.. then the speed of the mac mini should not be in question.. ;)
Ha! I know what you mean, but he does a lot of stuff "offline" as well... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.