Hard drive failed, need help getting a new one.

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. my hard drive was failing so i decided to get a new one. I don't know much about hard drives so i was just wondering what one i should get.. the one that came out of it was a Seagate barracuda 7200.12 500 gbtes. i was please with the power and everything about it, but not the fact that it failed… so my question is… should i just buy the same one or would i be better off getting a different brand? if so will the other brand be the same to hook back up? any suggestions and links would be helpful. thanks to everyone whom reads this!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not necessary to cross-post. Thanks.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As far as your question. Hard drives from all manufacturers can & will fail. Sometimes they fail quickly (warranty), sometimes they last for a few years, and sometimes they can last for a decade or longer.

If you had a Seagate HD before…I would not necessarily say don't get a Seagate. Personally…I shop for HD's based on performance & price. I'm not super "brand-loyal" when it comes to HD's.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
thank you.. i saw something about some thermo sensor not being able to adapt on different brands hard drives on mac… Do you know anything about this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, it would certainly help if you mentioned which Mac you have? The only time the thermal sensor would make a difference is if you were changing the hard drive in a late model iMac. iMac models from 2010 on to the present use proprietary hard drives because of the thermal sensor.

OP
J
Reaction score
hi. sorry that I'm not good at this lol. i know its a 21.5" but i am not sure of the year… is there a way to find out what year. i already have the drive out ( super easy for someone who has no clue what they are doing) but if i need to look at the drive for you to know anything let me know.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you click on the Apple in the top left corner and on About This Mac, post everything there and we can figure out what imac you own.

I have BTW had very good luck with Western Digital Black drives. Not the Blue and especially not the Green. The Blacks also have a much longer warranty.

OP
J
Reaction score
i already have the drive out so its a no go on turning it back on. i guess i can search for the receipt. any other way of finding out what year it is? yeah i was thinking WD but i just didn't know if i could slap it in and everything would be fine… so i take it seagate really isn't that good?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since its' an iMac the specs are usually on a Label on the bottom of the stand. Turn it over and look for a small label. If you can't see good get a Magnifier as to me its' very small text! :D

I cant comment on the drive till we know which model it is. After a certain time they went to an Integrated Thermal sensor. There is a way around it again depending on model from OWC. See if you can find that label!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 says EveryMac.com. Will check with OWC and see and get back to you.

OP
J
Reaction score
oh and btw i don't want something way expensive, a cheaper one is good for me, the computer isn't used for much anymore since getting a macbook but i would still like to get it running and hopefully not have the HD fail on me.

OP
J
Reaction score
im not sure if i am reading this right…if i stay with the same seagate one then i should be fine? or not? also after looking at my box i and the everymac site you gave me i noticed it is a mid 2010.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, let me check OWC and see. That might change it a bit.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like it still applies. OWC has a whole page of drives they say work 100%. Will post the URL.

Search Results for seagate at MacSales.com

I would purchase from OWC and ask them at the time of purchase to be sure it will work in your machine. Everything in that list should according to them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.