Time Machine- Internal backup vs. External backup

Reaction score
Hi all,

Correct me if I am wrong but Time Machine requires an external backup drive (e.g. external HDD) to back up my OS. My question is does it have an option to simply restore my OS to a specific point in time using only the internal storage of my Macbook. For example, Windows has a function that allow users to restore their computer back to a 'restore point' without the aid of an external HD. Does Mac encompass the same function?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For example, Windows has a function that allow users to restore their computer back to a 'restore point' without the aid of an external HD. Does Mac encompass the same function?

Mac OS X does not have an internal System Restore function similar to Windows. It's not necessary because if you keep your external drive attached and allow Time Machine to make its backups, you'll be able to restore from any point in time that the backups were made.

Keep in mind that Windows System Restore does not restore deleted files, folders, or programs. It can only restore changes that were made to the system and registry. While that might help in some situations, Time Machine can restore in all situations... (deletions, mistakes, program errors, etc.)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
In addition to chscag's excellent observations here's some additional food for thought.
Time Machine has had the ability, since OS X 10.7, to create "local snapshots" on a laptop's internal drive if it cannot find the external drive normally associated with Time Machine. This is not intended to be your primary backup strategy due to some significant limitations:

1. These "snapshots" are deleted if hard drive space starts getting too low. AFAIK there is no way for the user to have any control over if and when this process occurs.

2. These snapshots are useless if the drive mechanism itself fails. A backup strategy which puts primary data and the backup on the same drive is not a good long-term solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.