iPad Air vs Macbook Air for a student?

Reaction score
CORRECTION: Title was meant to say "iPad Air vs. Macbook Air"! My apologies.

Sorry for the huge chunk of writing, but I really hope someone will be kind enough to help me out! TL;DR: I bought an iPad and don't know if I should return it and get a Macbook Air. More details about my whole situation and dilemma can be found below.

I bought an iPad Air recently and went through a lot of hassle because of it (long story...) but I finally resolved everything on January 2nd and was very satisfied with it. A few days ago the new semester in my university began and here is my current dilemma: I have a computer science class this semester in which everyone uses laptops. I have been writing on paper the past few days and although it's not the end of the world, it would be much more convenient for me to have a laptop to bring with me to school since the compsci prof loads up files from the course website and writes on them, which is also what everyone else does in class along with him (except for the 10% without a laptop). Having a laptop with them allows the students to do what the prof is doing right there and run the files to test if they're being done right.

I asked the prof yesterday if he recommends bringing a laptop to class and he said that I don't have to, and that the final will be on paper anyway so it's not bad to get used to it. But he also mentioned that near the middle of the course he will be "flying through code" so it will probably get a little bit confusing for me, but he added that I can always look to the person beside me since almost everyone has a laptop. A problem I've found is when he copy-pastes something and adds it in between something we've written previously, which is obviously impossible on paper and thus kind of irritating, and since the course will get increasingly difficult, it will get increasingly difficult to keep up on paper.

That being said, I am writing this on my current laptop which is WAY too heavy to bring to school (I brought it once and had terrible back pains) which is the reason I bought the iPad because it is so portable. However, now I am finding that the iPad Air is quite limited in the things it can do and am wondering if I should return it (I have until January 17th) and buy the Macbook Air, which would be approximately double the weight of the iPad Air and half the weight of my current laptop. Or if I buy a keyboard case for my iPad, which I was planning on doing, the weight difference will be even smaller between the iPad Air and the Macbook Air. If I buy a keyboard case I will be able to keep up, but I won't be able to save files from the web page and I won't be able to run files to test them, so at home I will have to transfer all my notes onto my computer anyway so I can try them out (but I could keep them on the iPad for studying purposes).

The positives of the iPad are its portability, and in a sense its lack of possibilities because it keeps me on task and prevents me from procrastinating, which is ridiculously easy and therefore very tempting on a laptop. Thus, I get more done when my laptop is not turned on. The reason I bought my iPad was to have lecture PDFs on it, textbooks, watch videos on the bus, take notes in class (after purchasing a keyboard, that is), and watch lecture videos online; basically to help me study and stay focused, which is why I like it. Some reasons to get the Macbook air would be to replace my current laptop, and to have something that's portable yet still very useful and that I can write and keep most of my notes on. One bad part, however, is that I'm afraid it will be too easy for me to procrastinate and go on websites like Facbook during class and during time at home spent studying.

I'm not sure if I want to major in computer science; it's either that or psychology, for which a laptop probably isn't necessary and an iPad with a keyboard can do, but I'm not sure which option will be more beneficial in the long run. The price difference between the iPad and Macbook is $426.71 and the Macbook Air would clearly be the better option if I had no laptop, but since I have one and its only problem is its weight, I'm having an extremely hard time deciding. There is no chance for me to bring my current laptop to school since I get terrible back pains having it in my backpack. Another option would be to get a cheap laptop for approximately $400 that I can bring with me to school and use exclusively for compsci, as well as psych since it would be easier to take notes with a keyboard for that class also, but then my iPad will lose half of its intended functionality.

My question is, which of the two options would be better for me in the long run?

C

chas_m

The first thing you need to learn as a programmer or psychologists is how to break up paragraphs! :)

You do present an interesting dilemma. Of course an iPad Air can easily go to Facebook and otherwise distract you, so I don't think that's a valid argument. If you're going to stick with the compsci, I'd get the MBA -- clearly you're going to need it, and it can do double-duty as your home computer. I wouldn't suggest the cheap laptop because then you'll be limited to Windows (awful enough as it is), whereas for the same difference, the MBA can do Mac, Windows, Linux -- anything really -- which is phenomenally useful for testing code on multiple platforms.

If you change majors, the iPad Air with keyboard might well serve your needs, as would the MBA. The good news is that you can get the MBA for compsci, and sell it plus your old laptop to fund an iPad Air and keyboard if you decide to change majors. But in your present situation, you need a genuine notebook.

OP
N
Reaction score
The first thing you need to learn as a programmer or psychologists is how to break up paragraphs! :)

You do present an interesting dilemma. Of course an iPad Air can easily go to Facebook and otherwise distract you, so I don't think that's a valid argument. If you're going to stick with the compsci, I'd get the MBA -- clearly you're going to need it, and it can do double-duty as your home computer. I wouldn't suggest the cheap laptop because then you'll be limited to Windows (awful enough as it is), whereas for the same difference, the MBA can do Mac, Windows, Linux -- anything really -- which is phenomenally useful for testing code on multiple platforms.

If you change majors, the iPad Air with keyboard might well serve your needs, as would the MBA. The good news is that you can get the MBA for compsci, and sell it plus your old laptop to fund an iPad Air and keyboard if you decide to change majors. But in your present situation, you need a genuine notebook.

I took your advice and edited my post! Now it is actually readable, heh :)

I know the iPad Air can easily do many things, but I still find I get sidetracked much easier on my laptop than on my iPad for some reason. Also, I wouldn't want to sell my current laptop and the MBA for an iPad Air because I definitely need some sort of laptop for at home. Anyway, thank you very much for your advice! :D I've been thinking about this obsessively for the past two days and it's been preventing me from getting anything done, which is definitely not normal but I don't know how to not think so much about it.... I only have until the 17th to decide which makes me very nervous! :( Both the Macbook and iPad have their ups and downs so I guess I just have to figure out which one is more worth it. Hopefully soon because even though I'm trying to focus on studying, I can't because of this :'(

Reaction score
Two issues here: time management/discipline, and hardware decision. The following comes from being a dad of kids in uni and before that I was a student (still am I guess - that never ends for most of us).

About the former: seek out some mind-body learning, like yoga or many alternatives. Our culture learns how to get wound up but not how to wind down and focus in peace. Just a matter of learning how.

About the layter: If you can afford both, get the MacBook. The laptop is basic. You will need the productivity advantage of a laptop in psych as well as compsci. The portability of the iPad is a great convenience add-on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
While the iPad is great for replacing physical books without a doubt if your university fully supports this. I know some teachers don't want laptops or tablets in their class as they think the students ignore them and play on Facebook. So this is something you should consider. Now as far as typing you can get bluetooth keyboards and mice for the tablets.

That being said, every computer class I was ever in had computer workstations for you to run and test your software on. So a laptop should not be required. At least it shouldn't IMHO. This is something I would double check into. Now most students will have their own laptop for computer science, this resolves the issue of loosing your programming files off of USB drives.

To be honest, if you go computer science you need the MBA. But any other class with the exception of Office System (micro computers old name) a tablet would be a better choice.

Also no to discourage you, computer science majors are not making any money these days. The market is flooded with these so called professionals and you will barely make enough to pay your tuition back. However everyone is always going crazy so there is never enough shrinks! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nowadays, any student even thinking about entering higher learning - university, etc, they'll need a portable computing device of some sort. Just as many years ago when I was doing work for a BS, a slide rule was mandatory (I'm telling my age), today it's a portable computer or iPad.

C

chas_m

Naivetiu: happened across this today, thought of your dilemma:

iPad Mini Keyboard Case | ClamCase Pro

I stand by my earlier recommendations, but these guys make cases for all the iPad models, so if you're really stuck on the Air, this will mitigate (a bit) the lack of a real notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Indeed.. I been thinking about getting one of those for my iPad Mini while on travel..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Nowadays, any student even thinking about entering higher learning - university, etc, they'll need a portable computing device of some sort. Just as many years ago when I was doing work for a BS, a slide rule was mandatory (I'm telling my age), today it's a portable computer or iPad.

Chscag - LOL about the slide rule - I was an undergrad (pre-med) at the University of Michigan in the mid-60s - had the item in the pic attached to my belt daily - like a 'horse & carriage' worked fine for the times! :)

BTW - I second the KB option for an iPad - been using one on my iPad 2 for nearly 3 years come this spring. Dave

pi600b.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Chscag - LOL about the slide rule - I was an undergrad (pre-med) at the University of Michigan in the mid-60s - had the item in the pic attached to my belt daily - like a 'horse & carriage' worked fine for the times! :)

BTW - I second the KB option for an iPad - been using one on my iPad 2 for nearly 3 years come this spring. Dave

pi600b.jpg

I went through my first two years of engineering at college with one just like that. Also handy as a straightedge for drawing graphs etc.

EDIT: And for scratching that place you can't reach in the middle of your back . . . Try that with a calculator. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I went through my first two years of engineering at college with one just like that. Also handy as a straightedge for drawing graphs etc.

EDIT: And for scratching that place you can't reach in the middle of your back . . . Try that with a calculator. ;D

Well, I'm sure that I did scratch my back on occasional - :)

Believe that I gave the slide rule away years ago to our local Goodwill - should have donated it to one of the museums on historic technology! Dave

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I use my iPad Air extensively in meetings, and don't personally feel the need for a physical keyboard. I find the touch controls to be perfectly usable. I use iThoughts as my note-taking app of choice.

If you need to run code then the MBA is the clear winner as the iPad can't do that. You might also find that, if you buy a Mac, you decide you like it much more than your Windows laptop! I have to use a Windows machine for work but vastly prefer the Mac and OSX.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Nowadays, any student even thinking about entering higher learning - university, etc, they'll need a portable computing device of some sort.
And that choice really ought to be a notebook of some sort. An iPad is going to frustrate you to no end at points if you try to make it your daily driver as a machine to complete a university degree.

But he also mentioned that near the middle of the course he will be "flying through code" so it will probably get a little bit confusing for me, but he added that I can always look to the person beside me since almost everyone has a laptop.
That's the worst logic I've ever heard about computing in a computer science class.

However, now I am finding that the iPad Air is quite limited in the things it can do and am wondering if I should return it (I have until January 17th) and buy the Macbook Air, which would be approximately double the weight of the iPad Air and half the weight of my current laptop.
A thousand times yes.

Or if I buy a keyboard case for my iPad, which I was planning on doing, the weight difference will be even smaller between the iPad Air and the Macbook Air. If I buy a keyboard case I will be able to keep up, but I won't be able to save files from the web page and I won't be able to run files to test them, so at home I will have to transfer all my notes onto my computer anyway so I can try them out (but I could keep them on the iPad for studying purposes).
You can't code on an iPad so if you need to do mobile computing, you only have one (and the better choice).

The iPad is fine to do basic things but some things it just sucks at (not a dig at the iPad but the form factor as a whole).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am surprised no one has made a terminal app yet to let you do scripting and such on the iPad.

Yea you can not use a iPad for programming. While the classroom should have computers set up for programming, this still doesn't help someone if they need to further learn or finish software at their home/dorm. Even apps made for an iPad are built on a desktop.

When I went through computer programming in college. I used a Dell Mini (netbook with more ram) and it worked great. Of course I had my tower for when I got home. But point being even a slower 11" iPad air with dual core cpu (as long as you have enough ram) is/would have been 5 times faster in comparison at the time to the netbook. If that same netbook was still made today.. Hope I am not confusing on this.. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.