MacBook Running Extremely Hot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 4,1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GBs RAM, OS X 10.6.8
Okay I'm pretty sure this is NOT normal. I bought this MacBook in 2009 and it's been running great! Until 2011 that's when things started to get HOT.
I explain! Whenever I'm on YouTube Tumblr (with Gifs) etc the MacBook temps start to rise at insane levels like shown bellow.

This is Celsius NOT fahrenheit!

temps.png

I've cleaned up the fans and replaced the thermal paste.. and it's still happening!

I thought the laptop would shut it self off to pervent damage when it reached 100º but no it's still going and I've seen this guy going all the way to 117º when using iMovie! I have to shut it off otherwise I'm affraid the logic board and the processor will melt!.

I've ran AHT and this shown up!.

http://andrewgomes.net/misc/16092013122.jpg :'(:(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I had to guess, the error that the AHT found looks like it might be with a temperature sensor. My Spanish is rusty, so I may be off. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 4,1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GBs RAM, OS X 10.6.8
If I had to guess, the error that the AHT found looks like it might be with a temperature sensor. My Spanish is rusty, so I may be off. :)

Thanks! It's Portuguese btw :)

Problem solved! I re-applied thermal paste on the processor, cleaned the fan blades runs a lot cooler now

And AHT does not give any more errors :D

attachment.php

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, great. I kind of thought it was the temperature sensor acting up and I can now see why... Applying thermal paste is a sort of science in of itself. Some folks think the more they slop on the better the cooling, when in fact the opposite occurs.

And sorry about mistaking Portuguese for Spanish! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.