How to transfer website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have a website i made for my little business i run on the side where I fix iPhones, iPods, iPads, Macs and PCs. I currently am using go daddy for the website builder and was wondering if I could cut the cost and set up an old computer I have to run as a server for my website and how I would go about doing it. I have a fast enough connection(15MB down/5MB up). I don't get much traffic to the site and it is very basic just explaining who i am and what i do with the costs of the things that I do with a couple of images. I would also like to set up a server to keep my files on and be able to remotely access them as well as a possible VPN connection from this machine. Is this at all possible for me to do?

Its an older HP desktop with a 3GHz Pentium 4 with 2GB of RAM running windows 7 Pro 32-bit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check out this article from Ars Technica: LINK

There's also a wealth of articles and do it yourself instructions that you can find by doing a search. I came across a dozen good articles.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that I just started a webdesign class and im in a computer programming class, im more of a hardware person but I knew this could be done ha ha.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
File serving is easy regardless of whether or not you run Windows, Linux or FreeBSD. Web serving is a little trickier since there's more moving parts but isn't all that hard. What OS are you going to run on that machine?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
File serving is easy regardless of whether or not you run Windows, Linux or FreeBSD. Web serving is a little trickier since there's more moving parts but isn't all that hard. What OS are you going to run on that machine?

I have windows 7 pro 32-bit on it right now.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
SMB sharing will be easy with that. Web serving on Windows, especially if you don't use IIS, will require a little work. Here is some info for Apache on Windows.

What kind of web content are you hosting? Do you need something like PHP or SQL support?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking PHP most likely

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's some info for PHP on Windows. You will also want to find some info on configuring the server to work with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.