Price estimate for selling MBP...???

Reaction score
I am going to sell my MBP. I need an honest answer as to the price I can get for it in its current state/condition.

Specs:
- Early 2008 Macbook Pro 4,1
- 2.4 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
- NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB
- OS X 10.9.1 (13B42) Mavericks
- 200 GB HDD
- 4 GB RAM
- Matte screen
- Microsoft Office for MAC 2011

Conditions:

Cosmetically - 8/10.
Minor scratches and (1) minor ding. But overall...in "good" condition depending on how you percieve that 1 ding.

Mechanically - 9/10.
EVERYTHING works on this computer FLAWLESSLY. *** EXCEPT the graphics card ***. I took it into Apple for a diagnostic test and they said the GPU is going out/dying. It froze up a couple times in the last week and I get some screen flickering because of this issue. Don't know how much "juice" is left on this GPU. Did a fresh install of Mavericks and it "seemed" to have fixed the problem.

*** NO WALL ADAPTER/CHARGER, BOX & PAPERS *** Just the computer itself as it is.

Thanks for the help/suggestions. I will probably post pics tomorrow so all you guys can help me with this.

Decepticon_GTR

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved here to our "Apple Notebooks" forum as it does not belong in our Lounge forum.

Regarding your question.... You can look up the average street price of your MacBook Pro on several sites and also get some idea of price by looking on eBay or Craig's List. Be sure to deduct for wear and tear and especially if the GPU is going out. A bad GPU renders the machine useless except for parts.

And, you can not legally include Office 2011 unless you also include the original CD and the serial number, product ID that came with it.

Mac2Sell - Argus, Evaluation, Guide to used Mac, iPad, iPhone & iPod

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
EVERYTHING works on this computer FLAWLESSLY. *** EXCEPT the graphics card ***.

It always troubles me a bit when folks make this sort of statement. I see this on Craig's List and e-Bay all the time. "Everything" cannot be working "except"…

Either everything works 100% or it doesn't (no but's). If something does not work…then the word "everything" should not enter the conversation.

Everything = 100% working.:)

In any case…if the graphics hardware is getting faulty (and since the graphics hardware is soldered & integrated into the logic board)…this will basically mean that the logic board needs to be replaced. This is basically the most expensive part in a MacBook Pro…and new…can cost $400+ (used is less of course).

A 2008 15" MBP is only worth about $470. So as you can see…it wouldn't make much sense to spend $400 for a new logic board for a computer that is only worth $470.

Basically this computer is (or soon will be) only good for parts. And this sort of "parts computer" is very difficult to estimate a value for. Just put it on e-Bay as a parts computer…and see what it brings.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. FYI. These MBP's with the 8600 graphics had some serious problems…and there was a special repair program (that lasted like something like 3 year's). But this special program expired a long time ago.

OP
D
Reaction score
It always troubles me a bit when folks make this sort of statement. I see this on Craig's List and e-Bay all the time. "Everything" cannot be working "except"…

Either everything works 100% or it doesn't (no but's). If something does not work…then the word "everything" should not enter the conversation.

Everything = 100% working.:)

In any case…if the graphics hardware is getting faulty (and since the graphics hardware is soldered & integrated into the logic board)…this will basically mean that the logic board needs to be replaced. This is basically the most expensive part in a MacBook Pro…and new…can cost $400+ (used is less of course).

A 2008 15" MBP is only worth about $470. So as you can see…it wouldn't make much sense to spend $400 for a new logic board for a computer that is only worth $470.

Basically this computer is (or soon will be) only good for parts. And this sort of "parts computer" is very difficult to estimate a value for. Just put it on e-Bay as a parts computer…and see what it brings.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. FYI. These MBP's with the 8600 graphics had some serious problems…and there was a special repair program (that lasted like something like 3 year's). But this special program expired a long time ago.

Thank you for the honest requests. I respect that you guys know your tech **** and are technologically inclined. In that respect...I am not a "techy" kind of person. I just buy computers/electronics to serve me 1 purpose and therefore don't need/want to know the tech theories and such...so cut me a little slack as far as knowing what my computer has and what its good for. I just wanted some help...thats all.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you for the honest requests. I respect that you guys know your tech **** and are technologically inclined. In that respect...I am not a "techy" kind of person. I just buy computers/electronics to serve me 1 purpose and therefore don't need/want to know the tech theories and such...so cut me a little slack as far as knowing what my computer has and what its good for. I just wanted some help...thats all.

Thanks.

All information is good information…that's how we learn.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.