Pages - can´t be opened

Reaction score
I have written a lot in Pages for work, saved at an extern disk. Now, with a new macbook pro, it´s not possible to open the Pages document !!! What can I do? Is there some third part program to open it, or?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of Pages did you use to write those documents? If you have a new Mac, the new iWork apps are free (Pages, Keynote, Numbers), however, older documents will have to be converted first before you can open them. What happened to your older version of Pages, do you still have it?

J

jpharrin

Can't open old Pages docs

This is a problem many are experiencing. As you found, the new version of Pages doesn't open certain older docs. The only solution at the moment is to install an older versions of iWork, if you have it. Beyond that, I read in one thread that Apple is working on a solution. I don't know if that's fact or wishful thinking.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for answer. Well, the old iMac just died, but I have saved most of my files on an extern hardware. I guess I have used iWork 08, or even earlier. Have been looking for a way to download old iWork program but can´t find any. Even talked to Apple support - but they didn´t know what to do!
Have also been looking at NeoOffice - read somewhere that this program could open old kind of files, but I don´t know if this is a way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another reason Office is da best!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you were using iWork 08 to create those documents, I'm afraid you're out of luck as iWork 08 will not install correctly in versions of OS X after Snow Leopard. The iWork 08 apps are coded for PPC as well as Intel and just do not work right after Snow Leopard.

NeoOffice nor OpenOffice can open Pages documents. If you had been using an old version of MS Office, the documents could still be opened and edited by the latest version of Office. Unless you can convert those old iWork 08 documents to text or RTF, you may be unable to open them.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, it was bad news. :(
But at least I can now stop searching and start to rewrite it all..............
To bad Apple don`t have any cure for things like this.
best regards
Karin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
NeoOffice nor OpenOffice can open Pages documents.

Same for Libre Office. I just tried it on an iWork '08 Pages document. No go.

OP
K
Reaction score
Kind of a solution

Well, I found out a way to manage this issue. At least I will be able to read and keep safe all this old Pages document.
This is the way to do:
Select the document. (don´t open it, just select it)
Finder > File > Press pretzel Y (overview). > The document opens.
> Finder> File> Open with Preview > File > Export as PDF

So, now there is the old version of the document as a PDF file. If you got pictures in your Pages-document this can´t be seen, but the text will be there.

If you got a lot of old stuff this is a time consuming way but I think a program like Automator could deal with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Press pretzel ...

Ha! That's a new one for me. I've seen it called the clover leaf, like an interstate highway access point. The "proper" (Apple defined it) term is the Command key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.