Discontinued apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Following my successful upgrade to Snow Leopard, I'm wondering why the following apps were not touched:
Directory
Directory Utility
Garage Band
iDVD
iMovie
iWeb
ODBC Administrator

Not that I use them or know what all of them are; just curious, if anyone knows.

I had a nasty habit of adding the version number to an app's name, and forgot about that before doing the upgrade. In some cases, the version I had was more up to date than what was on the 10.6.3 disc. But with the handy Software Update feature, I got it all sorted out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most apps that were part of Leopard were still good to go with Snow Leopard. Keep in mind that Snow Leopard is the last version of OS X that can utilize Rosetta (PPC emulator) in running older PPC apps. The upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion or higher is where you may run into problems with older apps.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured that perhaps that list is of the apps that did not have new versions at the time that 10.6.3 was released, so the installer did not have anything to replace.

So far I've only run into one app that required Rosetta, so I installed it. I'll have to find out if there is a newer Intel only version.

Then one of my favorite toys, TechToolPro, won't open in SL. I'll be contacting Micromat this week to see if there is an update for free, or if I would have to pay for an upgrade. I might give it up, as I know it's not essential to use it.

I know I'll eventually purchase a new Mac, and then will need to upgrade Office (2004) and iWork ('08), or maybe just Office. I bought iWork as a tool to recover old AppleWorks files, and that task is complete.

Just noticed that the scroll down arrow in Safari is beneath the "grab" corner (the 45 degree lines) and won't work. The scroll up arrow works fine. I did update Safari in Software Update to 5.1.10 (annoying that I have to go to Applications and use Get Info to find the version!).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yu do not need to use Get Info to find version info for apps - practically all apps - click on the App name in the menu bar and then select 'About whatever app'.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...to find version info for apps - practically all apps - click on the App name in the menu bar and then select 'About whatever app'.

Wouldn't you know it: the second one I tried didn't. But I'll have to train myself to do that. I'm sure most will oblige.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.