Responsive Scrolling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
I absolutely hate, and I have never used that word in context with anything Apple before, but hate I do, the responsive scrolling in Mavericks. No doubt there are those who like it, but surely there has to be a way to disable it and go back to the old school way of just having normal scroll bars that are visible all the time?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - General

And while you are there, have to recommend you take some time and go through "ALL" the System Preferences and read all that is there at least one time. Makes it a lot easier when you want to change little things like this. You may find a bunch of other things you'd like better there also.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Well... not sure whether to say thank you, or ask who forgot to get their distemper shot this month!
Geez - would it have killed you to be a little less crotchety? Such a shame, when most people with whom I interact on other forums are so very nice.
Cheers! (You obviously have none...) Consider me whipped and hiding in a corner. Phew.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not crotchety in the least - just my own little words of advice - take it or leave it - it won't bother me one way or the other.

Everyone that uses a computer will benefit in the use of their computers by taking the time to look at the preferences they have access to - both in the system and in the apps they use.

Whether they do or not, I have been providing answers to questions for some number of years now and will probably continue to - even when they don't particularly care for the extra words of wisdom (and I'm sure sometimes not so wise).

Answers are not provided only for this one occasion, but for all the others that may read each thread.
If I can get even a few of those to take the time to go through the preferences available, I believe they may find more enjoyment from the machines they own.

C

chas_m

Well... not sure whether to say thank you, or ask who forgot to get their distemper shot this month!

You're the only one in this thread with an attitude problem. Tom took time out of his day to give you the correct advice, and added a tidbit that will benefit you enormously, all for free. And that's the thanks he gets?!

Since I like to think the best of people, I'm going to assume you are just super-bad at "interpreting" written text without smilies to help you. Tom was not just answering your question, he was going ABOVE AND BEYOND to help you further than was required. Just in case you didn't understand that from his perfectly innocuous and perfectly friendly post.

Let's hope next time you need help, you are able to understand that people here volunteer their time and expertise to share it with you. We don't have to do it, we like helping people. We don't even require thanks -- though that's always nice -- but appreciate a follow-up to let us know that we helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
@Kathmat . . . I encourage you to reread his post with a more open mind. It is just a straight forward reply which actually provided your solution. It doesn't appear snooty at all.
And really EVERYONE should go through all the entire System Preferences and look at the little tick boxes and the choices they provide you. The one I have appreciated the most is the one under Sounds where you can turn off the "tick" noise when changing the volume using the keyboard. I hated that noise!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.