Iphoto - Are all Photo Files in iPhoto Library Folder?

Reaction score
Does copying the iPhoto library folder actually copy all pictures in iPhoto? I noticed that some pictures that are on my Mac are not actually not stored in the iPhoto Library. I noticed when I deleted a file, while I could still see the photo in iPhoto I could no longer move the photo into the album. I am confused as to which when photos are in the iPhoto Library. If I drag pictures stored in a folder onto the iPhoto icon does that put them in the library? How can I get all photos stored on my mac into the iPhoto Library folder.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Whether all your pics are in the iPhoto library depends on whether you have now and have always had the iPhoto preference set to import photos into the iPhoto library.

Need to open iPhoto - Preferences - Advanced and make sure Importing to the iPhoto Library is checked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.