Upgrading RAM for MBP mid 2012 non retina

Reaction score
Hi,
I wish to ask if it is possible to upgrade the RAM of a MBP 15" min 2012 non retina. I have a 8GB Ram at the moment and I wish to upgrade this to 16GB. Is this possible does the machine supports 16GB RAM? It is 2.6GHz and Intel core i7.

Thanking you in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes it's possible. Here are the specs for your machine and what you need for memory:

Maximum Memory 16 GB (Actual) 8 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

We recommend buying memory modules from either Crucial or Other World Computing.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes it's possible. Here are the specs for your machine and what you need for memory:

Maximum Memory 16 GB (Actual) 8 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

We recommend buying memory modules from either Crucial or Other World Computing.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. But will this overload my machine? Just to be sure.

Thanks again :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi, Thanks for your reply. But will this overload my machine? Just to be sure.

Whether or not you need 16 GB of memory is debatable and depends on what you intend to use all that memory for. However, it will not overload your machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Whether or not you need 16 GB of memory is debatable and depends on what you intend to use all that memory for. However, it will not overload your machine.

Hi thanks again for your reply.
I need all this memory because I run simulation software on both mac and windows simultaneously and sometimes get stuck with only 25MB out of 8GB of ram available. That is the reason why do I need all this memory.

The reason why I am a bit worried is that apple only recommends up to 8GB of ram. Not sure why.

C

chas_m

Apple's recommendations are made using what is available at the time of production, and are never revised for later realities. Your machine can handle 16GB of RAM (2x8GB), replacing whatever is in there now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Apple's recommendations are made using what is available at the time of production, and are never revised for later realities. Your machine can handle 16GB of RAM (2x8GB), replacing whatever is in there now.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Now I am more confident of upgrading my macbook.

Infact it seems that the retina model from mid 2012 has the same processor and also uses ivybridge as MBP with non-retina. So since retina model supports 16GB of ram why not the MBP non-retina model as well. I think that this must be a good reason to upgrade. :)

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.