Mac Mini G4 - Will it do what i want?

Reaction score
Hello all,

Im new to the forum and very new to Macs. Even though im a massive iphone and ipad fan and know a fair amount my knowledge with apple macs is none existent.

Im hoping you can help with a recent and cheap purchase of mine. I have just bought a Mac Mini G4 for £40 off a friend, without really looking into it and realising that the G4 is in fact very old I just bought it.

The G4 Is actually the best G4 you can get, it’s the 1.5ghz later model with 80gb hard drive and it has been upgraded to 1gb ram. Its installed with leopard which I believe is the latest update I can get and it also has office.

The idea behind this is I want to connect the mini to my hdtv in the lounge and use it as a media center. I thought that with my iphone 5 and my ipad 4 this would work great. Also I have ceiling speakers around my house which are connected to apple airports so I can stream my music straight from my phone/ ipad or itunes. I have 3 airports which are listed as different rooms where the speakers are situated ie: lounge, bathroom and kitchen.

After having a look around and familiarising myself with the g4 im now under the impression that the G4 isnt going to cut it and im wasting my time.

The plan was to be able to first store all my music and video files on the G4, the G4 would also be connected to an external 500gb hard drive. Connect the G4 to my TV via DVI-HDMI cable. This way I can then sit on my sofa with my wireless keyboard and mouse, browse on the internet and use the mac like a normal computer or watch films but all through my 42 inch lg led tv. Then with the music instead of using my current method of using my iphone or ipad which lacks in storage capacity and will only airplay to one airport at a time so I can only listen to the music in either my lounge, bathroom or kitchen I could use my remote app to connect to the mac which then can play through multiple airports so if I wanted to I could have all the music playing through the 3 different rooms. Also the mac would have all my music on as it has more memory.

I think the above could be an issue with the G4 I think and I just wanted some experts to help. So what ive read so far is that the G4 won’t play sound through my tv speakers using just the dvi-hdmi cable I would need to connect a 3.5mm jack from the headphone port on the G4 to the port on the tv meaning if I want to play something from my mac ill need to keep plugging and unplugging the 3.5mm jack. Secondly im concerned that the display wont fill the tv screen and that all my HD films ive got probably won’t work or play due to the fact that the G4 just couldn’t handle it.

And last which im not sure but will the latest iTunes that I can have on the G4 allow me to airplay to my airports?

Anyway I feel I may have rushed into buying this but atleast it was £40 and I could probably easily sell it for £80. I hope you can help just iron out my thoughts.

Thanks

Dan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My suggestion is to sell the G4 Mini for £80 and apply that to a late model Mini. Get at least a Mini from around 2011 or later as they come equipped with an HDMI output and are Intel machines. The G4 is a PowerPC machine which is now pretty much outmoded for what you want to do with it. Since you only paid £40 you're not out that much even if you can't sell it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You are correct about the G4 not cutting it any more.

As a suggestion keep an eye on Apple Refurbs for the Mac Mini. Prices from $589 with the latest operating system, a full twelve month warranty and AppleCare if need be:_

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23400460#23400460

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.