Life Expectancy of iMac

Reaction score
I'm wondering how long I can expect my iMac G5, Model Identifier iMac 8,1 to last. I don't have a sales receipt but think I bought it about 5 years ago. I have no need for the capabilities of expense of a new computer which, if I understand correctly, would now include the cost of new programs (office, photoshop, quicken, etc) because the ones I have now will not work with whatever version of OS X is current. I also worry that files that I have saved in my current programs will not convert for use with new ones.
Everything is backed up on a MyBook - will this work with a new computer?
Thanks
Bob

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's not a G5 - the last G5 was made in '05 or '06.

You can expect them last anywhere between 1yr and 1 day up to as many years as you may be willing to use it. While I doubt anyone would want to use them, I know folks that have computers from the 1980s that are still operational.

That's sort of like asking, "I bought a new car in 1995, how long can I expect it to last?".

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Many folks consider the "useful" life of a computer to be around 3-5 years. But that certainly doesn't mean that a computer cannot last MUCH longer...or be useful MUCH longer. But for folks with high computing demands...this can be a lot shorter...or a lot longer for folks with less demanding needs.

It's really all about...can the computer do what you need it to do...and do it in a useful manner.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well good news if it actually an 8.1 model iMac so first check that out in Apple System profiler (About this Mac).

Mactracker tells us the 8.1 is a mid 2008 model, 2.4 or 2.6GHz, capable of running the latest operating system, OS X.9 Mavericks, so you will not need anything new nor lose any files. Make sure you backup to an external prior to upgrading the operating system. If you are running OS X>6.8 or later, Mavericks is a special price ~ free. If Leopard OS X.5, purchase OS X.6 Snow Leopard from Apple online.

OP
M
Reaction score
System Profiler says 8.1 and 2.8 GHZ and I upgraded to 10.6.8 which does everything I need. I'll check out Mavericks, though. The price is right !
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
The big bottleneck on these older machines is their limited graphics capability, which is a nonissue if you are only using your computer for basic tasks: office use, web browsing, music, etc. A friend of mine who is a photographer still uses a 2007 iMac for basic photo editing and it is adequate. Many of these tasks were easily handled by computers in the early to mid 2000s and they still work just fine, especially if they were higher end systems like iMacs to start with.

I hang on some forums that talk classic computing a lot and there are guys out there still using old things like Amigas, Atari STs, and the like for everyday computing tasks. My System 7 setup on Basilisk is still adequate for web browsing as well. Really it just depends on how happy you are with your existing machines.

Reaction score
Life of an IMAC

I'm wondering how long I can expect my iMac G5, Model Identifier iMac 8,1 to last. I don't have a sales receipt but think I bought it about 5 years ago. I have no need for the capabilities of expense of a new computer which, if I understand correctly, would now include the cost of new programs (office, photoshop, quicken, etc) because the ones I have now will not work with whatever version of OS X is current. I also worry that files that I have saved in my current programs will not convert for use with new ones.
Everything is backed up on a MyBook - will this work with a new computer?
Thanks
Bob

My IMAC will last 10 yrs. I will buy another, after 10 yrs, I will buy another. Then I will die and my kids will fight over them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Phew…!!! I almost was about to reply to the OPs post and then noticed the post date…

But I wonder if it's still in use and their most recent post was: Last Activity 07-24-2017 10:27 AM
http://www.mac-forums.com/apple-desktops/342080-drag-drop.html

But I'd sure doubt if a iMac G5 was still working, especially with all their bad caps. One of the worst Mac models Apple ever produced IMHO.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.