how to move time machine backups

Reaction score
i have a mac book pro running mavericks
for time machine i have been using a my passport 2tb hard disk
i also have a lot of music and movies on it (about 1.4 tb)
and time machine needed more space
so i bought another 2tb my passport
but i didnt want to allot the entire 2tb to time machine. so i partitioned the new disk into 2 halves. now i need a way to transfer my tm back ups to a 1 tb partition on the new disk. obviously using disk utility to restore my old backups disk to the new one wouldnt work becuz then the movies would be transfered too. i tried using finder to move the backup folder directly but it kept throwing up one error after another.
can anyone help?
i can use either disk for TM but i dont want to give it more than 1 tb. if i format my current disk, that will erase the backups. if i restore it using du the movies and music will be transferred as well and i'll be back to square one.
i need a way to transfer the back ups and just the back ups to a 1 tb partition .
any help would be appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How to transfer your Time Machine backups to another drive... see the following Apple KB Article: LINK

Make sure you have plenty of time to do this as it's going to take a while depending on how much data you have in your backups. I recently did the same thing and it took well over an hour just to gather the data and prepare for the move.

OP
D
Reaction score
i already tried that
it gave me this error over and over-
“00698524-F0F4-40C4-928C-42041FE627B4” cannot be converted. Please install a newer version of iWork.
i kept clicking okay and then finally i got this error-
"The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003)."
and then the transfer stopped

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You shouldn't be getting an error if all you're doing is moving the Time Machine image backup file from one drive to another. There may be some corruption in the backup image when it was made. I have had the same thing happen and had to delete backups. Deleting individual backups from the Time Machine image is time consuming and not knowing which backup is corrupt makes it even more difficult. It might be best to just press on and start over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.