Recording with iBook?

Reaction score
OK.....

Heres what I have :

iBook G4 1.2.Ghz with 768mb and 80GB.

Running panther.

I want to record my bands demo using this.... I was hoping maybe someone would know what software I would need.

Obviously I would need an audio interface also so that I could connect my guitar/ mics for the drums etc......

Anyone know is garageband good enough for the job?
If not, then what would you suggest?

Also .... whats the best audio interface for under 200 euro (250USD)???

Thanks

Shane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Garageband would be fine, it works for most types of music. I can't recommend a specific AI though, I haven't messed with too many.

I can, however, say that the iBook won't accept any "line-in" except via USB. So you'll have to get a product like the iMic, that would help you work around this.

OP
I
Reaction score
The iMic?

Is that a mic or is it an interface where you can plug in mics and various audio cables?

M

macaudiodj

I think surfwax95 is suggesting having all mics, and guitars go into a mixer then taking the output of the mixer, and going into the iMic.

Thats the only real way to do it under $250 usd.

OP
I
Reaction score
I like the sound of the Alesis ....

But... can anyone tell me how id use it??? I have no idea!

Plus... what software would I need to use it on my iBook??

M

macaudiodj

When you plug them in to your mac the pop up in the audio section of the preferences of OSX. I don't know for sure about those, but if I had to guess, I would say the work like my board and you have to run no audio cables to and from your mac, just the usb/firwire cable (which is great for a studio, less wires=:)).

As far as software goes, Garage Band would work, but you will not be able to mix/master your music very well. But, with both the usb boards I suggested both come with Cubase Le, It is not the best audio app out, but it gets them job done, much better then Garage Band would be able to do.

OP
I
Reaction score
Cool..... ok, now sorry to bother you... but I have to ask.... coz you seem to know a bit!

Ok, what about that apple software called eh, I think its logic expressor logic pro.... could I use that?

Also, do you think my iBook is enough?

I was considering buying a machine that can be just for audio something like this on ebay, would it be good enough???:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/PowerMac-G4-400M...8766859348QQcategoryZ4607QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would even buy something with lower specs if i could get away with it... because Im using my own money and Im a student to the price is a problem for me....

Being realistic.... I can spend about 500euros... I dont know how much that is in dollars. I can get a monitor from a friend that would do me for a while if I needed.

What would be needed along with the powermac though?

Im really interested in getting into this... bear in mind.... I willbe recording live drums also.

If I could get away with my iBook I would try my best to..... if it was good enough I would even upgrade the RAM and get an external HD after a while for additional storage.

By the way, thanks for your help..... its really appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
The iBook would probably kick the butt as far as overall performance over the Powermac you have listed above. The advantage of the powermac is that it is extremely expandable. I've got a friend selling a Powermac G3, and a 450Mhz Powermac G4, that I could put you in touch with. The G4 is loaded, 1.5GB ram, big HD (I forget how much exactly...)

If you just go with the iBook, an external hard drive could be a good idea.

OP
I
Reaction score
... Sounds good to me.... Thing is Im on a tight budget!
Can you just get a price for me anyway?

.... If its not in my price range I think I will use the iBook... but Ill buy a powermac and expand it myself.... try max out the ram and HD etc.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.