DVD stuck in iMac

Reaction score
Have a dvd stuck in 2011 iMac. Unable to turn on and boot computer. Is there a way to eject dvd with iMac in dormant state?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a way to eject dvd with iMac in dormant state?

Probably not without damaging the DVD and possibly also damaging the optical drive. Why can't you turn on your iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Should shut down no problem even with a DVD inserted. If any joy hold down the mouse key and reboot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Have a dvd stuck in 2011 iMac. Unable to turn on and boot computer. Is there a way to eject dvd with iMac in dormant state?

I have a newer iMac w/o an optical drive, but on my previous PCs, there was usually a 'small hole' on the optical drives; insertion of a paper clip tip would cause a disc to eject - not sure if this is even present on a built-in Mac drive?

If not and in addition to the tips already given, there are plenty of web articles, e.g. checkout This ONE - good luck and let us know your solution(s). Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a newer iMac w/o an optical drive, but on my previous PCs, there was usually a 'small hole' on the optical drives; insertion of a paper clip tip would cause a disc to eject - not sure if this is even present on a built-in Mac drive?

Unfortunately, the slot loaders that are used on Mac machines have no way other than electronic to eject a stuck disk. No small hole available.

His problem is even worse if he can't turn on the iMac as he indicated. Without turning it on, the only way to remove the stuck disk would be by brute force and that will surely cause damage to the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.