Printer driver problems Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.1

Reaction score
Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.1 — Following problems with my printer (Samsung CLP-310), removed them from the preference panel. I cannot now re-install any drivers : Apple - Samsung Printer Drivers v2.6 for OS X, nor from the Samsung website. The installations are apparently successful but the preferences do not find them.

Any advice gratefully received.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try completely removing the printer and drivers. Do a Spotlight search if necessary to find the drivers and remove them. Then install the printer just as if it were a new one and see if it works with the built in OS X drivers (if any). If a driver is required, install the correct driver for Mavericks from the Samsung web site.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for your interest. I have already uninstalled, but curiously the Mac refuses to find the correct drivers, issuing various negative messages. I have installed the latest Samsung driver available (v2.6) and am waiting for some Apple support. Fingers are crossed.:|

OP
R
Reaction score
Just spoke to Apple support in Atlanta.. re-started the Mac and now have my printer working again... phew! However, I still have the original problem (see above). Thanks again for your interest....

M

MacInWin

I'm confused. You said in the first post the problem was that you couldn't print. Now you can. So what is the "original problem" that you still have?

OP
R
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9 — the printer (Samsung CLP-310) options are not fully operational with "Pages” version 5.0 app, mail, notes, preview and contacts app : graphics, paper, about — are crossed out. However, Safari & Firefox print perfectly. Apple support tells me that a fix should arrive one day... and in the meantime Apple's Samsung all-purpose v2.6 driver (successfully downloaded) is not recognised by the printer.

Thanks for your interest.

M

MacInWin

Ah, that's totally different from missing drivers. I don't have a Samsung printer, so I can't help with the details, but do you mean that when, in Pages for example, you select File/Print the dialog box that opens is all greyed out? That's really odd.

OP
R
Reaction score
Not quite... Under the options headed "Layout"... Paper Handling... to Cover Page are fine, but graphics, paper, about — are literally crossed out.

M

MacInWin

Well, the only thing I can think of is that the driver for the printer under Mavericks doesn't support those options. That's a Samsung issue to fix.

OP
R
Reaction score
You are probably right. However, it is disappointing that the special drivers Apple issued in November 2013 have not addressed these options which are mysterliously available with Safari and Firefox.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Again as pointed out, that's a Samsung problem not Apple's. Printer drivers are supplied to Apple by the manufacturer. It works the same way in Windows and is not unique to Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Samsung have yet to get around to Mavericks updates. Here was the latest and note nothing since late 2012. Had the same problem with Lexmark lagging behind and changed to an Epson.

CLP-310 - DOWNLOADS | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plus the fact that Samsung and Apple have not gotten along very well for the past 3 years or so. It's hard to figure out who is suing who? But at least they have decided on arbitration.

And don't even mention Lexmark.... they have to be the world's worse printer manufacturer. Even Dell stop purchasing from them.

OP
R
Reaction score
Greetings all... problem solved by Apple support in the USA. It was just a matter of binning all my drivers and plists etc. from the Samsung library and re-starting. Thank you, everyone, for your interest.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi WSW, it is all so long ago now, but I seem to remember deleting drivers and plists from the Samsung library. However, since then I did have some problems and am now back to square one; i.e. my Samsung printer is working but my printer (Samsung CLP-310) options are not fully operational in mail, notes, preview etc : graphics, paper, about — are crossed out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.