Maverick Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Has anyone made the switch and if so are you happy with it? Thank you.
Hello! There are many posts about this on the site, check it out in a search.
I saw a few threads; they have very helpful info. Just type in Mavericks and see what comes up.

Check out the Apple Support site too and read reviews of users' experiences in the community section. Between that and this site, it was very helpful to get an idea of how the upgrade went, what problems if any, etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Has anyone made the switch and if so are you happy with it? Thank you.

Are you interested in upgrading to Mavericks...or are you just curious what others think of it?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
Extremely. Fast and rock solid. Personally always do a format of the drive and a clean install after backing up. Also wise to make a bootable USB thumb drive prior to running the Mavericks installer. See this for making the thumb drive:-

How To Create An OS X Mavericks USB Installation Drive | Lifehacker Australia

I too am interested in installing Maverick, but I've held back, hoping any kinks would be dealt with before I installed it. I watched the video and since I'm still a little fuzzy on some of the terminology used, I have a few questions.

What is meant by "a clean install"?

What's different between just updating via the Apple Store versus downloading to a thumb drive and installing from it?

After making the bootable thumb drive, can you just leave Mountain Lion on the system and just boot up with the Maverick thumb drive?

Since I have limited download per month, I don't want to have to download the update more than once. So, which method requires less bandwidth, if there is a difference.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I have limited download per month, I don't want to have to download the update more than once. So, which method requires less bandwidth, if there is a difference.

If you have a laptop computer...go to your local Apple Store, Starbuck's, or other free WiFi hot spot to do the downloading. This will have zero impact on your monthly quota.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
Not a laptop.

Did some more "searching" and believe I've answered part of my first question about a "clean install." Don't think I want to wipe my disk clean and go through the time to get all my stuff back. But would a clean installation also wipe out my partition with Bootcamp/Windows?

Thanks.

Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a laptop.

Too bad...that would make things a little bit easier.

Did some more "searching" and believe I've answered part of my first question about a "clean install." Don't think I want to wipe my disk clean and go through the time to get all my stuff back.

Yes...that's what a clean install is...pretty much an HD wipe, install the OS, then reinstall all apps. Doing an OS upgrade (installing the new OS onto an HD with an older OS installed...as well as apps.) is perfectly fine.

But would a clean installation also wipe out my partition with Bootcamp/Windows?

No...that bootcamp/Windows install is a completely separate HD partition. When you partition an HD...it's sort of like having completely separate HD's in the same computer. So you have a Windows partition, and an OS X partition.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you opt for a clean install, clone the hard drive to an external and then use Migration Assistant in Utilities to bring everything across. Larger suites such as Office and Adobe may well require re-activation so have the codes handy.

Pretty painless really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
If you have a laptop computer...go to your local Apple Store, Starbuck's, or other free WiFi hot spot to do the downloading. This will have zero impact on your monthly quota.

- Nick

If your Starbucks is like our three, then you will still be downloading when OSX 10.24 comes out. One would think that, with all the customers they have, that they would have upgraded from dialup by now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.