Clean my Mac problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I just read that Clean my Mac is not recommended by some on this forum because it can cause some problems. What kind of problems can it cause?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Slowdowns:(...and money out of your pocket to make your computer slower!:( Both things folks usually don't want.;)

- Nick

p.s. I wanted to add. One of the more common complaints about "Clean My Mac" is it cleans too much. And this seems to lead to computer slowdowns of some sort.

Reaction score
I have found onyx mac Onyx perfectly acceptable.
If you download make sure you download the version to suit your Mac version OSX

Reaction score
I have used CleanMyMac and Onyx for several years. I never had a problem with either except with the "maintenance" functions in CleanMyMac3 (similar to Onyx, which I never had a problem with). However, I don't use the CleanMyMac "Smart Cleanup" - i go through each section and check what each scan brings up. You can deselect anything that might be a problem, for instance, I use Family Tree Maker, which syncs with ancestry.com. I had a lot of problems with syncing in the past and am afraid of messing this up. Something like that I set in preferences for the scan to skip. As I said, I've never had CleanMyMac mess up my system using any function except maintenance - so I use Onyx for that.

But you have to use either program properly! It is critical to restart immediately after using these programs - that is when your system integrates the changes. If you don't, your system doesn't know what to do. CleanMyMac can be a very convenient way to find and remove unnecessary stuff if used properly. I agree that there can still be some files left over after an uninstall with CMM - I have used AppCleaner.app and EasyFind.app successfully without problems for this. There are also Terminal command lines you can find from reputable posters in forums and IT blogs. I am not a developer or IT person, but have found posts that have helped me many times.

It looks to me like people who are having big problems need to learn some basic principles like making regular backups. I use Time Machine for daily backups, or more if I am doing a lot of work. I also make bootable clones with Carbon Copy Cloner monthly, or if i make significant changes to my system. If you spend a little time to learn how to use things, proceed cautiously with small steps when first using a new program or OS, backup frequently so you can restore if something goes wrong, it takes more time at the beginning, but saves a lot of time and aggravation later.

Also, in the "CMM cleaned too much" link posted above, I don't understand the comment about "lack of response" from CMM developers. They replied to people's concerns in the forum, and made repeated requests for people having problems to contact support - the developers say no one contacted them with the problems described in the forum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I have to ask - do you work for the makers of CleanMyMac?
There literally thousands of complaints about CleanMyMac - here and on Apple Discussions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
He may well be the developper lol!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take the above post from "miz_mdk" with a large grain of salt. They are obviously associated with the app which as member "gsahli" has pointed out has many complaints against it. Besides, the new version CleanMyMac3 is $39.95 to purchase whereas OnyX is free (and safe to use).

Reaction score
... Also interesting that that was 1 and only first and last posting, which it in itself speaks book volumes.

G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Was precisely the same when Mackeeper first reared its very ugly head. Ms Moreno worked flat strap promoting here all to no avail.

Reaction score
No, I don't work for CleanMyMac

I have to ask - do you work for the makers of CleanMyMac?
There literally thousands of complaints about CleanMyMac - here and on Apple Discussions.

No, I don't work for CleanMyMac. I don't have any personal or business connections with them either. I just know people are more likely to complain than praise, and wanted to provide some counterbalance to the negative posts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am not associated with CleanMyMac

Take the above post from "miz_mdk" with a large grain of salt. They are obviously associated with the app which as member "gsahli" has pointed out has many complaints against it. Besides, the new version CleanMyMac3 is $39.95 to purchase whereas OnyX is free (and safe to use).

As I stated in reply to another post, I am not associated with CleanMyMac in any way except as a customer. I have been limited and cautious in my use of it, as I stated in my original post, because I really messed up my mac with MacKeeper, and learned the hard way from my experience. I do generally prefer Onyx, but if you look at a lot of the complaints, people didn't follow basic precautions which you should use with any 3rd party software, including Onyx, such as backing up your system before making changes!

I believe I stated my experience accurately, both good and bad. I did state that I had problems with the new features in the latest version. I was able to recover from it without a lot of trouble because I do make frequent backups.

The fact that there are thousands of complaints doesn't mean they are all valid. It also doesn't invalidate my experience, which i described without bias.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, I don't work for CleanMyMac. I don't have any personal or business connections with them either. I just know people are more likely to complain than praise, and wanted to provide some counterbalance to the negative posts.

OK, fair enough. Thanks for posting back and clarifying your position.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Have a read of this for problems. Note the comments by the developers and lack of response to many problems.
CleanMyMac cleaned too much - MacRumors Forums

Wow…!!! I didn't realize that it has been around for so long, but it looks like it's tried to camouflage itself a bit by adding a version number after its name and finally get to it's latest CleanMyMac 3.
http://www.macworld.com/article/291...ake-more-room-on-your-crowded-hard-drive.html

But I wonder how much such reviewers get paid for such reviews, and not the best review at that when a lot of the dangers of using such utilities are barely if even mentioned.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well afriqueart you certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons with this topic. As you can see there are some strong feelings about any application that meddles with system files in the Mac OS.

I agree completely that most "cleaning" applications for Mac OS are often worse than useless with the insidious and invasive Mac Keeper being case in point but at the end of the day it's up to the consumer to decide, it is our role to merely advise based on our pooled knowledge.

miz_mdk, I am a Clean My Mac 3 user myself and have been since inception with absolutely no problems but I also promote OnyX. You will note that most of our members advise using OnyX to run the "maintenance" scripts at their default settings. I have not seen anyone advise changing these settings nor advise on the use of of the "Automation" or "Utilities" scripts. All contain preference options and I would not advise using or changing these without research or advice first.
So Onyx is potentially harmful and the developers are the first to admit this and include a detailed disclaimer which appears as a window prior to use including this statement;

"Back up your data:
Before using OnyX, back up your data.
OnyX is not problem-free, and no user is infallible. Back up your data using Time Machine or any third–party backup utility".

I might add that OnyX has never caused a problem for me and I have tried all the scripts but not without first understanding what they would do.
In the same way I do not use CMM 3 without first understanding what it is about to do and in my mind it's only fault is, unlike Onyx, it does not include a disclaimer display and backup advice prior to use.

When I started using CMM I was not a member of this forum and had I been I probably would not have invested the money although it was much cheaper then and subsequent upgrades have been at a discounted rate.

I don't think the two applications can really be compared, Onyx is really a better form of Disk Utility and is very valuable in that role. CMM 3 is a System Cleaner, it removes things that it decides you don't need and therein lies the danger. It is perhaps too easy to just use Smart Cleanup without knowing the what will happen.
You may not want it to remove your email attachments, temporary files or unused binaries and localisations from apps but the preferences to prevent that are easily accessible.
Some things it does do (that OnyX does not) are complete Uninstallation or Reset of applications, an easy to use Extension Manager, a Large Old Files scanner that lists files by name, type or last time opened which I find particularly useful for getting rid of forgotten, unused or redundant files and a Shredder for securely removing files.

All of these functions can of course be found in other apps but CMM 3 puts them all together in one easy to use interface and that's where it shines.
BUT and it's a big but, all applications like this need to be used with care and discretion and only after some research and a complete backup.O:)

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A very fair and balanced post, Rod.

All these tools are powerful agents that require discrimination and often some background knowledge which is difficult to source.

I use the " basic" functions of OnyX which I think I understand. No problems.

I prefer not to exit my comfort zone by dabbling in things or areas where I lack confidence; Terminal for instance.

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Mac Forums

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Ian, I'm with you there.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well afriqueart you certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons with this topic. As you can see there are some strong feelings about any application that meddles with system files in the Mac OS.
… … …
BUT and it's a big but, all applications like this need to be used with care and discretion and only after some research and a complete backup.O:)

+1!!! Well put and stated Rod.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.