VERY slow Mac

Reaction score
My mid 2007 Intel Mac has 4MB memory which is the most it can take. In the last year or so it has gotten REALLY slow. I've used "CleanMyMac" and other software to reduce clutter. But if I check the status using the activity monitor it almost always reports 3.99 GB of the 4 GB as in use. Does anyone have any ideas about how what other things might be the cause?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- Firstly we do not recommend "Clean My Mac".
- Second...your HD could be beginning to fail...or be too darn full.
- Thirdly...(without getting technical) rebooting the computer occasionally (instead of putting it to sleep day after day) can help.
- Forthly...depending on the iMac model..it may actually be able to run with 6gig of ram..
- Lastly...I don't think that ram is the issue. A freshly rebooted iMac with 4gig of ram you run quite nicely.

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
In addition to Nick's comments, please provide information on: 1) OS installed; and 2) HD size and current storage that is left? Onyx is the maintenance program usually recommended here (rather than the one you used). Also, if your HD is nearly full, then take a look at this THREAD

Finally, w/ this relatively 'ancient' computer (kind of like dog years ;)), I hope that you have redundant backups of your important data? If not, that should be your first goal - good luck and post back after gathering & digesting the comments and suggestions given.

Dave :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Nick and RadDave -- your comments and suggestions are appreciated. The OS is 10.9.1 Mavericks; HD capacity 749.3 GB; Available 568.2 GB. I'll look into Onyx. I do have redundant backups -- one on an external drive, one online. I "shut down" every night, so the computer is booted daily. Using the Crucial memory web site, it appears my model can accept only 4 GB of RAM. (As best I can determine my Mac is a mid-2007 (24 inch) and the Crucial site memory advisor says 4GB is max.) I don't see a solution developing unless Onyx is superior to "Clean my Mac" is a substantial way.

Again, I appreciate your thoughtful replies.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using the Crucial memory web site, it appears my model can accept only 4 GB of RAM. (As best I can determine my Mac is a mid-2007 (24 inch) and the Crucial site memory advisor says 4GB is max.)

If your iMac is an "aluminum" one...then it can have 6gig of ram installed. If it's a "white" 24" iMac...then it's max. is 4gig.

I don't see a solution developing unless Onyx is superior to "Clean my Mac" is a substantial way.

Onyx is superior since it is free (but donations are appreciated) and it causes no issues. "Clean My Mac" costs money...and has been found (via comments from users)...that it actually causes problems. This "problem causing" is why we don't recommend it.

Folks experience the same thing with anti-virus programs. AV programs cause slowdowns by themselves (and Mac's don't need AV)...so uninstalling an AV program results in speedups. Possibly the same thing with "Clean My Mac" (possible activities always running in the background).

- Nick

Reaction score
Open Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console) and look at the logs. Look for things that say "retrying in xx minutes" or somesuch. Also look for error messages.
Open Activity Monitor (same place as Console). Look for what's using the most cpu resources.
Second the use of Onyx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
....The OS is 10.9.1 Mavericks; HD capacity 749.3 GB; Available 568.2 GB. I'll look into Onyx. I do have redundant backups -- one on an external drive, one online. I "shut down" every night, so the computer is booted daily. Using the Crucial memory web site, it appears my model can accept only 4 GB of RAM. (As best I can determine my Mac is a mid-2007 (24 inch) and the Crucial site memory advisor says 4GB is max.) I don't see a solution developing unless Onyx is superior to "Clean my Mac" is a substantial way.

Hi Rocky... - you've already received several posts from veterans here that I hope will help you - concerning identification of your machine, just a few more suggestions that might help: 1) Everymac - likely can find your model there; and 2) Apple Serial # Lookup - check your serial number using 'About This Mac' - other serial number websites exist.

Also when did this 'slow down' occur, i.e. gradually or after installation of Mavericks? According to Mavericks Minimal Requirements your computer seems to be 'sitting of the fence' but appears to be w/i the specifications indicated.

Just posing a question here for our 'experts' as to the age of this computer and whether a 'clean install' and backup restoration might be a suggestion, and if so what OS version would be the best choice to run on this computer? Sorry - just thinking 'out loud'. Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also when did this 'slow down' occur, i.e. gradually or after installation of Mavericks? According to Mavericks Minimal Requirements your computer seems to be 'sitting of the fence' but appears to be w/i the specifications indicated.

Great question. I would think (historically)...a computer model that just barely makes the minimum requirements for the most recent OS version...is certainly going to have a tougher time of it than a much newer model.

But of course it all depends when the OP's slowdowns started (before or after Mavericks).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.