Power PC G4 OS Question

Reaction score
Are there any operating systems that I could install on my PPC G4 (1.25GHz 512MB) other than OS X? (Maybe something like Chrome OS?)
Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I doubt the Chrome OS would work, but you might check the Linux Ubuntu forums to see which version of Ubuntu will work on that machine. And forget about Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Leopard OS X.5 is the best OS for your machine, but first increase the memory to 2GB assuming this is a MDD model G4. Other than Ubuntu, and I do not like Linux, the older OS 9, known as Classic, is the only option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
early 2007 White Macbook. 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb ram, 120 Gb HDD. OSX 10.6.8 SL
windows on g4 is possible with virtual pc 7 but it extremly slow

C

chas_m

windows on g4 is possible with virtual pc 7 but it extremly slow

1. Virtual PC 7 for Mac has been discontinued for what, eight years now? Good luck finding a copy of that ...

2. I guess "possible" is an accurate term, but "extremely slow" doesn't even begin to cover it. It was "extremely slow" by computer standards of a decade ago; by today's standards, it's more like "glacial movement-esque" or "let's go watch the Milky Way revolve around us while we wait for this to load" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
lol chas m even worse, much worse, than VPC was a software program for install Windows 95 on a Mac prior to VPC. And 'extremely slow' nowhere fits the bill on how slow it actually is!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.